Bonded Rx lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donclaypool

Contributor
Reaction score
I just recieved my first prescription mask and cannot wait to try it. It has Rx lenses bonded to the original flat lenses. I expected a whole new lens cut and installed in the mask. Is this the standard practice or is it because of my severe astigmatism or were they just being cheap in not cutting a new one piece lens? Paid $200 and there's a tiny bubble in between the lenses. A little disappointed here. How are your Rx lenses set up?

Don

The bonding is pretty much standard. Your cost seems a bit high to me, I paid around $180 for mine and it has Rx lens with bifocals. As for the bubble, after paying $200 it I would not accept it that way.

donclaypool:
I just recieved my first prescription mask and cannot wait to try it. It has Rx lenses bonded to the original flat lenses. I expected a whole new lens cut and installed in the mask. Is this the standard practice or is it because of my severe astigmatism or were they just being cheap in not cutting a new one piece lens? Paid $200 and there's a tiny bubble in between the lenses. A little disappointed here. How are your Rx lenses set up?

Don

I have 3 masks done the same way by Prescription Mask at

http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

One low profile cave mask, one AGA full face and a Kirby Morgan half mask. I have had zero trouble with them.

There shouldn't be any bubbles. I have bonded lenses, with bi-focals and astigmatism correction. My vision is around -5 in both eyes, +2.5 bifocal and moderate astigmatism.

I paid about $175 ( includes the price of the mask ).

Send 'em back!

donclaypool:
.... Rx lenses bonded to the original flat lenses....
I considered having that done until my dive buddy said he just wears contacts. So, I got contacts to and love them! No more glasses and see everything underwater too!

We always do the entire lens replacement instead of bonding. Of course, this can only be done on masks with 2 lenses that can be replaced.

I had single vision lens bonded in my Tusa Visulator for $120 plus $12 shipping. The Visulator is a one lens mask, so bonding is the only option. I am pleased with the results (no bubbles). I also used www.prescriptiondivemasks.com in San Diego.

Thank you for posting. I love my original mask so much that I just had the same thing done...I was concerned about it but after hearing the responses I feel better. I wouldn't accept a bubble if I was you. When you put the mask on can you see the bubble?

donclaypool:

Don

I've been diving with masks with bonded lenses since 1979 or 1980 and have minimal trouble. (One lens did once fall out on the deck of the diveboat, but I taped it back in with duct tape and dove the rest of the week without further problems.)

I wouldn't be too concerned about the bubble unless it's visible/obstructing your vision underwater. However, for what you paid, you should have gotten better workmanship.

Curt Bowen:
I have 3 masks done the same way by Prescription Mask at

http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

One low profile cave mask, one AGA full face and a Kirby Morgan half mask. I have had zero trouble with them.

I had PDM do my mask also. No bubbles, very clear about $120. No problems, and it is great to see clearly again. I also have a severe astigmatism, and they did a first rate job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom