Gauges or computor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice from the experts around these parts. This weekend's purchase is going to be some gauges or a computor, but I don't know which. Since I have neither right now, I'm figuring if I buy what I'm going to want after a bit more experience now, it'll be more cost-effective than buying the wrong thing and buying again later. How about some input, please? I figure about $300 is my limit. Thanks to all in advance. ...N

Analog pressure guage (SPG) and computer. Not sure if that will fit in your budget though. So, I'd definately go with the guages and get the computer later.

My vote goes for the gauges. Why you ask? You buy the gauges now and the computer later. If the comuter goes wackey, when you buy it, you still have the gauges to fall back on and continue your dives, with the proper precautions. If you buy the computer now then you have no gauges to fall back on. Also $300 for a computer might be pushing it, not sure.

Dewd, you are opening a *****HOT***** topic, no problem, lets go again........

Get a computer, unless you decide to go the DIR or TECH direction, and is properly educated to cut/dive your own tables. For the tank pressure, a analog SPG will do just fine.

ShakaZulu:
Dewd, you are opening a *****HOT***** topic, no problem, lets go again........

Get a computer, unless you decide to go the DIR or TECH direction, and is properly educated to cut/dive your own tables.

Surely you aren't advising a guy who has no SPG to dive without one...

My opinion is that an SPG is much more necessary than a computer...A person with an SPG can rec dive using tables, but a guy with no SPG is adding significant risk by guessing at his air supply.

I'll even go so far as to suggest that by "guages" the original poster might be saying that he has no compass, no SPG, and no depth indicator, in which case I'd advise getting the "guages" if you can't by an SPG, compass, and computer.

Or maybe I misread the original note...I thought he was saying that he had *no* guages, and your response leads me to believe you might have read it differently...

scubasean:
Surely you aren't advising a guy who has no SPG to dive without one...

My opinion is that an SPG is Much more necessary than a computer...A person with an SPG can dive using tables, but a guy with no SPG is adding significant risk to be guessing at his air supply.

Or maybe I misread the original note...I thought he was saying that he had *no* guages, and your response leads me to believe you might have read it differently...

Nope, I misread it........... the question is a little vague.

It doesn't make any sense. When you buy guages, you must have a reg set. If you don't, I'd buy a computer first and the reg set later. If you don't you will also need something to measure your depth and time with.

Alternatively, you have to buy a wrist computer, eg Suunto Mosquito, and keep on renting your reg set. I know a LDS that will rent a good reg setup (MK26/G250) with a integrated Uwatec computer setup.

Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist and SPG from Leisure Pro $360 Total minus shipping.

msandler:
Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist and SPG from Leisure Pro $360 Total minus shipping.

That is over $300.

I guess I misread this one too. I am assuming that regs haven't been bought since it would be a pain to rent just the console. I am sure that someone would rent it out but never heard of it that way.
Why buy just the gauges? I guess it would be one more thing that you can sit at home and look at. Kinda like buying that computer that you have no idea of how to turn on or read.
I would still buy the gauges before the computer.

rpnick:
Hoping for some advice from the experts around these parts. This weekend's purchase is going to be some gauges or a computor, but I don't know which. Since I have neither right now, I'm figuring if I buy what I'm going to want after a bit more experience now, it'll be more cost-effective than buying the wrong thing and buying again later. How about some input, please? I figure about $300 is my limit. Thanks to all in advance. ...N

Not an expert but:

When you say guages, I'm assuming you mean a complete reg set (first stage, reg, octo, spg, lowpressure inflater hose) and not just the SPG.

In this case either one would be fine just make sure you get what you want and not what the LDS wants to sell you. Do you even know what type of computer you want or what type of reg set? If you don't, don't rush out and buy anything this weekend, take some time and do some research on both to see what your options are for the $300 price range that you've set. I think you're going to find you can get a better computer for that price then you can a reg set, I could be wrong though, prices are different up here in Canada EH!

Myself, I purchased my (wrist mount) computer first, why? I thought it would be a good idea to have something as backup when I rented the rest of the equipment, either on vacation or when diving locally. It also gave me the chance to try out a couple of different regs before buying to see if I liked one over another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom