Y-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

Are Beuchat Y-valves the only DIR Y-valves?
I found one where the knobs are on the tops of the stems (a hell of a lot cheaper).
Thank you.

FFMDiver:
Hello:

I found one where the knobs are on the tops of the stems (a hell of a lot cheaper).
Thank you.

I have an H-valve on my single bottle. It has just enough space to put two DS-4 first stages on it horizontally. Whether using two first stages is DIR or not is another discussion, but it solved a lot of house routing problems for me.

wow...never seen an H valve like that, looks very interesting.
I understand OMS H valves are not DIR (most-likely due to the bolt failure point?). I'm sure someone will either comment or boot this thread to tech, but thanks for the pics.

MASS-Diver:
I didn't know any H/Y valves were DIR? Why would you need one if you dive DIR?
IIRC H/Y valves are mentioned in the Fundamentals book, so I suppose that makes them DIR-compliant.

I don't use one, but my guess is that the point is to make your singles rig more similar to your doubles rig.

They provide regulator redundancy but don't provide gas redundancy. Take that for what it's worth. The only real point I can see is for doing deepish recreational dives on a large tank.

FFMDiver:
Hello:

Thank you.

I don't like how this one looks...yolk...plastic exposed knobs...hmm...doesn't look very DIR to me.

The Beuchats are pricey but they're high quality. Now the one Reinoud has shown...now that one looks interesting...

Seems like I recall that there were (or are) two different points of view on whether or not these type of valves are DIR...I believe AG - at least sometime in the past - favored their use while GI3 has pretty much disagreed. Maybe someone in-the-know will answer your question with authority.

Reinoud:
I have an H-valve on my single bottle. It has just enough space to put two DS-4 first stages on it horizontally. Whether using two first stages is DIR or not is another discussion, but it solved a lot of house routing problems for me.

Too bad the posts are not a little further apart so you could mount your DS4s both pointing in...then you could switch back and forth between this valve and a manifold with the same regs without having to change hose locations. THAT would be nice! That's one of the reasons that I sold my Beuchat and bought more DS4s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom