Any problems with these two dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zyxomma

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at purchessing a new dive computer. I have narrowed it down to a hoseless dive computer that I want. I am looking at one of the two:

Aeris Atmos Elite Hoseless Wrist Computer

Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox Wrist Computer

What are peoples thoughts and finding on these two items?

zyxomma:
I am looking at purchessing a new dive computer. I have narrowed it down to a hoseless dive computer that I want. I am looking at one of the two:

Can't speak about the Aeris since I have no experience with them. Aladin is a good computer if you have no interest in using more than one gas at a time. Such as a back gas and a deco gas that is different. Also, the wrist strap is elastic, therefore you have to be very careful that it is not only snapped down under the retainer, but that you tie it in place as well.

For the cost of the Aladin, I'd go the extra distance and get the Suunto Vytec AI. Handles gas switching underwater with 3 different gases and has a good solid band to boot.

Quarrior:
Can't speak about the Aeris since I have no experience with them. Aladin is a good computer if you have no interest in using more than one gas at a time. Such as a back gas and a deco gas that is different. Also, the wrist strap is elastic, therefore you have to be very careful that it is not only snapped down under the retainer, but that you tie it in place as well.

For the cost of the Aladin, I'd go the extra distance and get the Suunto Vytec AI. Handles gas switching underwater with 3 different gases and has a good solid band to boot.

I'll back up your Suunto Vytec as i had one, awsome computer, thats all i have to say, you can't compare the two, The Vytec is alittle consertive on the Deco, making you stay alittle longer as my HS explorer cleared me, but very close profiles once into decopresion diving. My buddy also dives with the Vytec and loves it, he dives with 2, using one for back up, there awsome computer's.

FLTEKDIVER:
I'll back up your Suunto Vytec as i had one, awsome computer, thats all i have to say, you can't compare the two, The Vytec is alittle consertive on the Deco, making you stay alittle longer as my HS explorer cleared me, but very close profiles once into decopresion diving. My buddy also dives with the Vytec and loves it, he dives with 2, using one for back up, there awsome computer's.
That's very interesting. The vytec is suppose to use the RGBM algorithm and so is the HS explorer but some have commented the vytec might not be true RGBM. I own a vytec and often use it alongside a desktop generated VPM dive profile and find they both seem to clear at the same time for most dives. I also purchased the explorer but have not been able to use it yet since it's been back to the shop twice and now their phone is down because of the hurricanes.
I'd like to hear your experiences with the explorer compared to vytec.

zyxomma:

Aeris is the generic version of many of the more known brands - so it's really got the same insides as many of the brands you commonly hear about.
Uwatec is also good, but a little harder to find service wise - depending on where you're from. Also, I may be wrong on this - but I think the batteries are a pain in the butt to change - the soldering in kind, or they have a funky battery, or you have to send it in...not 100% sure, but I remember uwatec being a pain...

wedivebc:
That's very interesting. The vytec is suppose to use the RGBM algorithm and so is the HS explorer but some have commented the vytec might not be true RGBM.
There's a post in Ask Dr. Decompression about this. Apparently the RGBM algorithm in the Suunto (Mares and Dacor) computers is only a partial implementation layered on a basic haldane algorithm. Here's a link to the post: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=763229&postcount=4. I wish BRW would comment on this. It would be nice to hear from someone authoritative.

wedivebc:
That's very interesting. The vytec is suppose to use the RGBM algorithm and so is the HS explorer but some have commented the vytec might not be true RGBM. I own a vytec and often use it alongside a desktop generated VPM dive profile and find they both seem to clear at the same time for most dives. I also purchased the explorer but have not been able to use it yet since it's been back to the shop twice and now their phone is down because of the hurricanes.
I'd like to hear your experiences with the explorer compared to vytec.

In the shop twice? Hmmm, that's the first i heard of them having troubles, i love mine, i have it close to 6 months, never glitched once. You can always ebay it like everyone does with there VR-3's., lol,

zyxomma:

I had a friend about a year ago who had an Aeris, it was in the shop over 3 times and kept breaking down,, after that, i would never buy a Aeris after seeing how much trouble he had with his, i could see if it broke down once, but 3 times they had to send him a new one, ive had dive computers for years, maybe im lucky, but i never experianced anything like that, but i would be mad after spending 1K, on a HS and having problems with it.

The Aeris Atmos Elite Hoseless is a great computer...have heard great things about it and own one myself...Great little computer!

On the other hand the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox Wrist Computer...I've heard nothing good about them...never owned one myself, however demoed one and I personally did not like it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dive Safe!!!

FLTEKDIVER:
I had a friend about a year ago who had an Aeris, it was in the shop over 3 times and kept breaking down,, after that, i would never buy a Aeris after seeing how much trouble he had with his, i could see if it broke down once, but 3 times they had to send him a new one, ive had dive computers for years, maybe im lucky, but i never experianced anything like that, but i would be mad after spending 1K, on a HS and having problems with it.

That's a first I have heard about that...no I take that back, I had a customer bring his in after every trip he was on ...there are some things that are recommended to have done by a professional (like taking the thing apart). It causes the computer to have irrepairable problems.

Have never heard of an Aeris (or other computer for that matter) just "breaking down" on someone before....they usually run out of battery life first.

Not saying that your friend tried "cleaning it" like the person mentioned above, but it sounds strange. I've been selling them for years and have never had (aside from the one mentioned above) any complaints.

Dive Safe!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom