So I'm interested...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks,

Mark

1. Hmm let's add it up:
H Explorer wing/bp: $487
Can't tell what kind of tanks, lets assume 130s: $1000 (high average)
Helios 9/18w HID: $1367
Looks like an Apeks reg, maybe $400?
Uwatec bottom timer: Maybe $200?
Two Scout lights: $180
DUI TLS350?? w/ Drygloves: $too much,. maybe $3000? (never priced one of those)
Knife: $50?
2 spools: $66
Junk in pockets and such: $~150
SPG: $100

Total: $7000 (wow, came out even!), plus a little for stuff I missed/mispriced.

2. Wow. That would be pretty cold for wet. I would be semi-dry by then, preferrably dry. I would also get twin bellows pockets put on, they're where you put everything you NEED.

3. Sure. Why not? Got spring straps, don't you?

1. teknitroxdiver is pretty close.. I'd drop a few hundred for the tanks and drysuit, making it closer to $6000.

2. It's not all that common but not exactly unheard of.

3. Absolutely, why not? They're great fins for just about everybody.. all sorts of divers have been using them for 30 years.

Sooner or later somebody is going to come along and say take the course. I did what you are doing: ordered and read the book before investigating further. I think this is a good way to start. JJ(the author) is a lot less strident in some ways than the people on this board. For instance he does not seem to insist on the long hose for certain shallow dives.I have taken DIR-F and continue to work on skills.Im very happy to be pursuing this course albeit at my own unfrenzied pace.

Although gear is the most notorious part of DIR , nearly everyone will agree the skills are far more important. BTW now is the best time to start, not after you have hundreds of dives. I started DIR-F as a divemaster but I doubt you could have picked me out as such in the class. The skills are simple but not often taught elsewhere at this level.

BTW teknitroxdiver exaggerates greatly. Im sure you could pull the whole thing off for $6900.

Tek did a great job. I'm a cheapskate and I buy most of my stuff online or from eBay. Lets take Ken's tour and look at what you might want to pay:

H Explorer wing/bp: $487 (eBay H plate: $75, Wing $250)

Can't tell what kind of tanks, lets assume 130s: $1000 (high average) (eBay PST's - rare these days, but I got my HP100's for $125 and $150 ea)

Helios 9/18w HID: $1367 (Please. eBay a Sartek 10W for $400, or a Helios 10w for $600. If you NEED an 18W, they go for about $1000 - $1100 on eBay)

Looks like an Apeks reg, maybe $400? (rare on eBay, but if you hunt, you can find it for about $275 - $350... not much of a savings there...)

Uwatec bottom timer: Maybe $200? (eBay - $110 or less)

Two Scout lights: $180 (eBay $55 ea... maybe $120 total)

DUI TLS350?? w/ Drygloves: $too much,. maybe $3000? (never priced one of those) (eBay has TLS's all the time. Probably $400 - $800. Someone is selling rings and gloves on there right now. Maybe $800 - $1000 max for all, including undies, gloves, hood, etc.)

Knife: $50? ($1.99 at Food for Less)

2 spools: $66 ($44 for two Delrin, delivered)

Junk in pockets and such: $~150 (a little high... but lets say you like to carry a lot of junk.... My spare mask, dive alert, wet notes, and shears were about $75)SPG: $100

Add in hoses, SPG and freight

Total: $7000 (wow, came out even!), plus a little for stuff I missed/mispriced. (Ken's tighta$$ eBay and online shopping trip for all this stuff cost you about $2400. But that's just me. I get almost everything off of eBay)

Your mileage may vary.

Don't forget to subtract all the cash you'll get eBaying the crapola you currently own. For me:

SeaQuest balance - ebayed for $375 (wif Airsource)

Light Cannon (ebayed for $154)

Atomic Splits (ebayed for $120)

Oneill 7mm Wetsuit (ebayed for $94)

So pull another $700-ish off the total above abd you're at about $1700. NOW were talking.

As to Drysuits, I dove wet for years, and now that I'm diving dry I'd never go back. Lots of DIR folks dive wet... no biggie. it will impact your tank selection, that's about it. For pockets, I use the Xshorts when I dive wet (in FL, etc.) and they work fine.

eBay just rules.

K

FWIW. It's a diving concepts suit, and most likely a Halcyon Pro-6 light. Apeks DS4 1st stages w/ TX50 seconds. He also has an argon bottle as well.

But remember you can put this stuff together over time. Got a wetsuit? Get some pockets. Get a hose kit, a singles wing and a backplate. Tear your console apart and clip off your SPG. Pick up a bottom timer if you don't have a wrist mountable computer; and start diving tables until you get some better training. Upgrade as you progress. You don't need backup lights until you start doing overhead or night diving.

Sure, you can save up, buy the whole lot, then sit a while until you have enough money to dive... or you can work with what you got, replace what you have to and sell the other stuff to recoup some costs, save up for the bp/wings and get diving.

Thanks, that information is quite helpful. I met someone today that had a nice new Halcyon BC so I got to check it out a bit. I also started searching Ebay (thanks Mo2vation). Since I'm not in a hurry ...

Mark

mweitz:
Thanks, that information is quite helpful. I met someone today that had a nice new Halcyon BC so I got to check it out a bit. I also started searching Ebay (thanks Mo2vation). Since I'm not in a hurry ...

Mark

Take the DIR-F class or at least look for someone who's taken it... sit down for coffee and talk about it. There's a lot of bashing and misinformation out there about DIR. Since your in the Bay Area take advantage of Joe Talavera's XP days... He brings out his rental backplates and other gear and ets you take it out for a spin.

Ben

I think you've recieved some pretty good advice already. I will echo Ben's recommendation to come on out to one of Joe's XP days and ask some questions and get to dive one of the setups before you make any more purchases.

I would also recommend that you take a DIR-F before spending to much money on gear. By doing it that way, you will know what features to look for when making a purchase. Joe has plenty of setups that he rents for his Fundamentals classes so that would be my recommendation.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Good luck,

Ditto on what Ben and Scott said.

Talk to someone "in the know" face-to-face before buying a stitch of gear and you'll save some heartache, $$$ and get going faster.

Ben

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom