Suuato Vyper any issuex or Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cecil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 200 dives in 4 years it's about time to get a computer. I'm planning on asking Santa for one. After some research I'm leaning towards the Vyper. Any issues or others I should consider. Thanks.

It looks like a good computer to me. I like the Suunto products. Are you going to wrist mount it or put it in a console? I would suggest that you wrist-mount with a small brass SPG for pressure.

I just purchased one and used it yesterday for the first time. Got the wrist. Easy to read display. Functions were pretty easy to scroll through. Read some comments about buttons being hard to press....had no problem even with thick gloves. On land, with no gloves, the little buttons are somewhat harder to press than some, but not really a problem. Got the download kit and that is the only thing that sucks. It comes with a serial male connector. My (and most) laptops need a female connector and I am going to have to run around finding an adapter which isn't easily found at Best Buy and Circuit City. WHY don't they use a USB like the rest of the world. With USB it is instantly on as soon as you plug it in. With serial, you need to have it plugged in when the computer boots. Oh well.

gr8white:
Got the download kit and that is the only thing that sucks. It comes with a serial male connector. My (and most) laptops need a female connector and I am going to have to run around finding an adapter which isn't easily found at Best Buy and Circuit City. WHY don't they use a USB like the rest of the world. With USB it is instantly on as soon as you plug it in. With serial, you need to have it plugged in when the computer boots. Oh well.
I wonder what they were smoking when they decided on a male serial connector. Going serial instead of USB is dumb. Using a male connector is really brain-dead. You should be able to get a gender-bender at any electronics supply shop such as radio shack.

Daryl Morse:
I wonder what they were smoking when they decided on a male serial connector. Going serial instead of USB is dumb. Using a male connector is really brain-dead. You should be able to get a gender-bender at any electronics supply shop such as radio shack.

While I totally agree that using a serial adapter is a brain fart at this stage of the game, many manufactures continue to do so because there are a good number of computer users out there that do not have puters that have good USB support.

However they should offer the OPTION of getting USB. Heck USB B damned... I'd rather see firewire :eyebrow:

Ron

Cecil:
After 200 dives in 4 years it's about time to get a computer. I'm planning on asking Santa for one. After some research I'm leaning towards the Vyper. Any issues or others I should consider. Thanks.

I like my vyper...I use a wristmount. No complaints about the computer itself. The displays are easy to read and it has lots of features and is easy to use. Lot's of bang for the buck. Some people will argue that the RGMB model is too conservative. For me, this is not an issue as I always want to err on the safe side.

Instead of buying the download kit from Sunnto, you can try searching the net, and this board, for other options. I bought one for about $35 that works just fine. Also, shop around, as prices for the computer vary widely.

RonFrank:
While I totally agree that using a serial adapter is a brain fart at this stage of the game, many manufactures continue to do so because there are a good number of computer users out there that do not have puters that have good USB support.

However they should offer the OPTION of getting USB. Heck USB B damned... I'd rather see firewire :eyebrow:

Ron
I agree that there are more computers with serial than USB at this point, but the standard COM port is a DB9 male. Why wouldn't they provide a DB9 female? That's just dumb.

As for USB, almost any computer that's been sold for the past several years will have a USB port. Firewire is another matter altogether!

Excellent computer, very clear display, easy to use and good features.

If you dont need multiple gas diving and AI then i wouldnt hesitate to say get a vyper.

(If you want either of those 2, get a vytec instead).

The computer interface can be built yourself for less than $5 usd cost.

Back
Top Bottom