Looking for a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyMist

Reaction score
Hello,
Im not really into scuba diving (yet!), but I like to swim in my pool with a mask and snorkel. It allows me to more easily swim laps in the pool then if I had to bob my head up out of the water for air, and just makes it more enjoyable.

My problem is finding a mask that will work for me. I've tried goggles like what you get at a pool supply store, but obviously they dont allow for the snorkel to be hooked to the strap, and thus dont work in this situation.

I bought a cheapy mask yesterday at sportmart for like $20.00 only to find that either my face is too large for it, or it just a bad design. It immediately let in water on the right side and didnt seem to be making a proper seal. I assume my face is just too large for it. I tried tightening the strap, loosening the strap etc, but it still let in some water which got annoying every 2 laps or so. I also have a moustache, so that is another conern that a mask be able to accomodate a moustache and still make a proper seal.

Seeing as I live in the desert there are no scuba shops that I know of nearby so I'll probably have to buy online, but I have no idea where to even start or what to look for, for my particular situation.

Any suggestions for a big faced, moustache wearing person?

Thanks,

P.S. I'd like to keep it under $75.00 if possible since it is just for swimming laps in my pool for now.

The best thing to do is check the phone book for the closest dive shop....you might be surprised to find something close to you. Otherwise plan for a trip. I would strongly recommend trying on masks instead of just ordering one. If you find a mask that fits, it will make your time in the water much better. You will probably want a purge mask since you have a moustache. That will make it easy to clear any water if it dribbles in because of the facial hair. If you end up getting a scuba mask, make sure that you rinse it and keep it out of the elements. It will last much longer. The silicone in the mask skirt will be much more comfortable too. Once in the dive shop, start trying on the masks they have and buy the one that fits the best. You should definately find one for under $75.

You will want to hold the mask up to your face, strap off. Stop breathing and see how it seals to your face. If you strongly inhale any mask will stick to your face so be gentle. Next tilt your head up to the ceiling, look for any light that is coming though the seal between your skin and the skirt--not a good thing. Next check to make sure that the mask isn't pressing against your forehead or your nose. Finally, make sure the color matches the rest of your gear :wink: .

Good luck!

Where in the desert are you? I was amazed by the # of dive shops in the desert when we first became interested in scuba.

with that being said....got a big face myself, and a stach (won't even enertain the thought of shaving it off) so I feel your pain. I just clear when needed if the mask leaks a bit or shave about a 1/4 in under my nose to get a seal. You could wipe vasoline in your stach to help create a sealing area. Ann's advice on finding a good fitting mask is spot, espically like the color corrdination issue :) ) on so no need to reiterate her advice. My lady has a purge mask and loves it, I hate it because it's volume makes it feel like my face is being dragged down.

Try Gart sports if you have on in the area, around here they handle the dolphin line of masks (with purge) and snorkles and the price is real good. Dive buddy of mine during OW checkout had one and he had zero leakage, didn't trim his stach at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in the Palm Springs, Ca. desert area. Unbelievably there actually is one scuba shop nearby (found the only one in the phonebook) and it's open Tue-Fri 10am to 4pm (guess theres really not a lot of requests for scuba gear living in the desert, so Im going to go over there on Tue to see about getting a mask that fits properly.

Most Walmart-type masks aren't worth anything and don't fit anyone. Be sure and try on every mask there, and if none fit very good, don't get one. My personal favorites are the Mares X-series masks, they're light and low profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom