DFC Catches Thresher Shark Poacher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Gomer Piles:
no jail time or fines? bah!

You believe that losing their entire business wasn't enough?

Even though they were "commercial" fisherman, they may just have been ignorant of the law...the use of nets is apparently only banned Feb., March, and April...

scubasean:

Even though they were "commercial" fisherman, they may just have been ignorant of the law...the use of nets is apparently only banned Feb., March, and April...

As you'll see from sean's bio, "joker, troublemaker", don't get sucked in. :monkeydan

TwoBitTxn:
Should have taken the boat too.

No license, no permit= no fishing... yeah right

TwoBit
I agree... What's to stop them from just putting someone else at the helm?

scubasean:

Yes, I do. He should have lost the boat and all his equipment too as well as doing jail time.

As a commercial fisherman it is his JOB to know the law. We are not talking about some weekend fisherman who accidentally catches a fish he does not recognize and is therefore unaware that it is an endangered species. We are talking about a professional, a man and his son who make their living netting fish. He had a permit to use the nets. Want to bet the permit process includes a statement that you must sign that you have acutally "read the ordance" governing their use. The fact that the other net boats were not going to sea should have given them a clue. Given the age of the two involved I will also wager this was not their first season fishing. He knew the law. If he did not, he should have.

Just as you and I are responsible for reading up on the season for lobster and the legal methods of take it is the responsibility of the commercial fisherman to read the conditions of his permit and the DFG rules and regulations pertaining to his industry. It is particularly more important for the commercial fisherman to be informed and up-to-date on the law due to the shear volume of their take. On this one day he killed 52 sharks that will not be reproducing this season or ever again. The season is closed during their reproductive cycle. I’m sorry, but IMHO he knew the law and new he was breaking it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom