Tusa Hunter / Suunto Vyper / Oceanic Versa Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm computer shopping and looking for wrist mount, non-AI, nitrox and PC interface. I'd like a computer with a simulator. I've been looking at the Tusa Hunter IQ-700 (Dive Rite NiTek Duo / Apeks Quantum), the Suunto Vyper, and the Oceanic Versa Pro (Aeris Atmos 2). I don't like the Mares M1 (Dacor Darwin). I haven't had a chance to look at any Uwatec computers yet, but I heard their customer support is poor.

I tried the Apeks Quantum and liked it quite a bit. The user interface is easy to use and I also like that it supports two gases, but it doesn't have a simulator. I didn't like the backlite, as it seems to be rather dim. I also understand the PC interface isn't available yet. Anyone know when it will be available?

I haven't tried a Vyper yet, but it seems to be a nice computer. I'm wondering if it's too conservative. Anyone with a Vyper find the NDL limited when diving with buddies who use less conservative computers such as Oceanic? How is the backlite on the Vyper? Is the screen still visible with a display shield on? I downloaded the dive planner. It's kind of primitive, but it looks okay (except for the stupid serial connector).

Initially, I was leaning against the Oceanic / Aeris because they are quite liberal. However, they have a nice user interface and you at least have the choice to dive them less conservatively. Someone pointed out in Ask Dr. Decompression that if your computer gets locked up, it's pretty useless. Not a bad point. How well does the PC interface work on these computers?

I'd appreciate comments on these computers. Am I overlooking anything? How is the customer service?

Thanks.

Daryl, I am also researching different computers. I am looking at air-integrated, hose mounted. My choice has narrowed to the Suunto Cobra or Sherwood Wisdom. Though I prefer the Suunto because I perceive it to be a higher quality instrument, I am leaning toward the Wisdom because of the liberal/conservative issue. From what I have gathered, the Suunto computers are much more conservative, and, being fairly young and in reasonable shape, I don't want what I think may be unnecessary constraints. My reasoning is: I can make a liberal computer more conservative, but I can't make a conservative computer more liberal.

Mine is a Vyper and it works well. There is no problem with the visibility through plastic shield and the backlight performs very well.
It is not too conservative to my opinion. However I can only compare with Aladin.
Planning is little primitive you're right but that's ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom