Chocolate Lobster Dive 25Sep04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jengineer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey folks it is that time of year again. Time for the 7th annual Cabrillo Chocolate Loster Dive in San Pedro, CA. Your chance to bag the "rare and elusive chocolate lobster" Well actually it is just the tail. I will be out there again "salting" the dive with hermatetically sealed and weighted tails. Look for me in the faded lime green dry suit, tan colored Ford Ranger look-a-like truck aka Mazda.

One of these years the organizers will comp us a tail for our efforts. Proceeds fund the Cabrillo Marine Museum and the new Fish Hospital. There are a slew of sponsers offering their time and donations, however the the success of the event is really based upon diver's support.

The depths of the tails are anywhere from 5 to about 20 feet so free divers are more than welcome.
The viz has ranged anywhere from 10 feet to braille.

for more information go to www.chocolatelobster.com

joe engineer

Already signed up with the buddy membership via paypal. This will be my first time at this event!

Man, that sounds like fun. I'll need to check the schedule with the wife.

Xanthro

jetfixer:
Any hot tips from the salters as to where to find these elusive creatures?! :eyebrow:

you didn't hear it from me but I leave one at each of the anchor points. Since I am pulling out 3 "floats" there are sure to be 3 buried. Some times they are found in groups of 2 to 4

Other hints. Make sure you bring your compass and have some good nav skills. It is amazing how many folks go beyond the invisible field. Since the bottom slopes ever so slowly it is easy to go out of bounds. You need a clue to how may kick cycles it takes to go 100 feet and to be able to keep track of where you are.

If one of us tells you to turn around please do so. If one of us tells you to surface then do it. generally if you are too far out we will have you do a surface swim back to inside the boundaries.

bring water, sun block, a cheerful attitude! I'll try to leave my tude at home. They have recently reburbished the bath house and there are places to rinse off too. The facilites in general are getting better each year it just takes time and $$

Ok, I'm there. Wife may attend but doesn't dive and water is too cold for here to free dive. I'll be buying the $70 two person package, so if anyone wants to have a free dive ticket, let me know. We can meet up there.

Xanthro

I'll be there, we are showing up around 7ish so we can park a little closer to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom