Big Island Oct 20-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Em_Dee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello there!

I will be staying in Kona at the Royal Kona Resort Oct 20-25th.
I would like to hear if anyone has dive any operator recommendations.
So far, I know Jack's Diving Locker is only a 5 min. walk from my hotel.
I will be the lone diver, accompanied by a snorkeler.

This is my first time to HI and there is so much to do and see topside (Flume, Volcanoes, etc.) as well as underwater that I am having trouble deciding what to see now and what can wait until next time (I am already certain I am coming back next vacation!)

I plan on doing a night Manta dive for certain.

Any suggestions/feedback are most welcome.

Thanks!
:06:

Em_Dee:
[...]This is my first time to HI and there is so much to do and see topside (Flume, Volcanoes, etc.) as well as underwater that I am having trouble deciding what to see now and what can wait until next time (I am already certain I am coming back next vacation! [...]

There is indeed a lot to see and do on the BIg Island. Pick up a copy of
Wizard Publications The Big Island Revealed . It's accurate and should
help you make the most of your first trip.

I like Kona Honu Divers, better boat, great crew. Downside is that they are on the north side of town. Sometimes you can get them to pick you up.

The Manta dives if they are there is really cool, I've done it twice and would recommend it. Take a 3 mm with you, the water gets cold when you have been not moving for 30 minutes. You might want to check with the dive group and find out if they have been around, apparently that time of the year they aren't there as often.

Also, when you are planning to go to the volcano, remember the altitude, some of gets up in the 2000 foot range, maybe more. The drive to the volcano takes a few hours, so you will probably want to make a full day of it anyway, so you should be close to at least 18 hours out of the water anyway. My suggestion is check out the volcano durning the day, and then about an hour before dark, go see the lava flow. Check with the ranger station, or the park service web site to see if you can get to it, sometimes you can't. Pick a day that will be clear because when you walk back you will see a fabulous night sky, awsome amount of stars. Take a flashlight with you too, remember some dive lights aren't meant to be used out of water.

Bob

Thanks for the input!
I really want to get a chance to see a volcano. I have heard about diving in lava tubes also, I'll ask the dive shop when I get there.

GKN, that book looks good, I went ahead and purchased it.

Hawaii is looking like a blessing and curse - there is so much topside that it is taking time away from my diving!

The guidebook (Hawaii: the Big Island Revealed) is wonderful -- detailed descriptions, accurate maps, and honest opinions. You will find it very helpful!

We've done the manta dive three times -- the first two times we had 3-4 manta rays, but the third time there were none. =( I hope you get lucky -- it is an amazing experience!

We dove with Jack's Diving Locker (small boats) and EcoAdventures (big boat), and I would rate them both positively.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom