Getting through Rough Surf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moon

Reaction score
What's the best recommended way to get through rough choppy surf? I assume it would be to crawl or dive under the waves (from what I read). Recently, I had my first experience where I came across a dive site where it was choppy and I actually got thrashed trying to get past the surf. Course, I didn't do it the recommended way. My bad... Lesson learned most definately.

After my 3 min stop at 15 ft, I always surface immediately, to take a look at the beach conditions. If its bad on top, like you said, I will descend again, and swim out under the waves, along the bottom, holding onto the bottom when the waves recede, which automatically puts me into a crawl once I am far enough up the beach. Then I crawl as fast as I can, with my reg still in my mouth. And you do not stop crawling until you reach the dry sand. I keep a brush in the vehicle to brush off the sand, for unexpected exits like that.

Some people would argue to swim out on the surface, however that leaves you vulnerable to a surface wave and being slammed into the beach like a lost surfboard.

Some people would argue to walk out even though the beach is rough, but that leaves you to be knocked over in the surf zone.

So that is why I do what I do. I doubt there is any one right answer though.

moonie:
What's the best recommended way to get through rough choppy surf? I assume it would be to crawl or dive under the waves (from what I read). Recently, I had my first experience where I came across a dive site where it was choppy and I actually got thrashed trying to get past the surf. Course, I didn't do it the recommended way. My bad... Lesson learned most definately.

I was in SoCal this past June and did my first shore dive. Quite an experience but back to the question. I was with an instructor and he told me to take my fins off as soon as I could touch bottom. Start walking in sideways as soon as there was a lull between sets. That day it didn't seem like there was any. I think he said to hold on to mask and reg if you think a wave will wash over you as you're walking in. Just kept walking in sideways. The thing is once I got through the rough part and was in knee deep water. I lost my balance and fell down. It was quite hilarious. I ended up rolling and rolling. But I did learn how to do a shore entry and exit. My entry was great, it was just the exit part.

I'm sure there will be others with a lot more experience that can give better advice. I know I'll be checking the posts out too.

Mel

If it is rough surf, and the waves are nice and large, go dive the local restaurant instead. Better that than to bash your head on a rock and break your neck. Divers have been killed making large surf entries and exits! Remember if the waves are large, it could be a storm coming in and they may be even, gulp, bigger when you get out!

Dive story, entered in 2-3 foot waves, over rocks (beach ball size or larger), surfaced 1 hour and 40 minutes later with with 4-6 foot waves crashing with force onto the rocks. There wass also the occasional 7 foot swell that translates into, well, you just don’t want to be there. It was an interesting exit to say the least and involved body surfing the last wave onto the rocks and then scrambling like hell to get off the rocks before the next set came in. Did I mention the exit was at night? Live to dive another day and make the right choice to avoid the big surf in the first place.

But you will learn that by experience. Experience is recognizing a mistake you made the first time the second time.

That said. If conditions are diveable (remember big surf = big surge. Big Surge= stirred up sand. Stirred up sand = no vis so why go diving?) IMHO Fins off and firmly attached to you, BC empty, Mask on, time the waves. After watching several sets come in you will know the lull when you see it. When the last wave of the set starts in, start your entry, but don’t’ get too far out, just as far as you can safely go into that last wave without it being an issue. After that last wave passes you, move as fast as you possibly can go past the point the waves are breaking and get into water where you can barely touch. This should be well past the surf zone. If you are a 6 foot person, and the waves are breaking in water over 5 feet deep, then you are trying to dive in waves 6 foot or more and should not be there.

When the last wave of the set comes (or one sneaks up on you) Face the waves, turn the body sideways to present the smallest surface area for the wave to hit, and brace yourself, get your center of gravity low by squatting. If the wave will strike you at or above the knees, then you may need to either leap over it, or dive under it. The bigger the wave the more you will need to hug the sand to let the wave pass over you. The wave is most powerful where it is curling over, and immediately after it has broke before the energy has a chance to spread out with the foam. With some waves, there is just no helping it, you are going for a ride. After that, take note of what the conditions were like so you will recognize next time when you should go eat instead of dive.

Crawling is an aceptable exit strategy and in some places (Monestary Beach, Monterey) the only way to exit. But if you have to crawl in, you really should be asking youself why? Why are you risking you life to dive in lousy visibility anyway?

pasley:
If it is rough surf, and the waves are nice and large, go dive the local restaurant instead. ...

That is exactly right. The Chowder House in Monterey or The Rivers End in Jenner are my two favorite spots. There are also a few quaint restaurants at La Jolla Cove as well, if you can find parking amidst all the tourists.

Don't forget though, that you can go in, and the waters are flat, whereas then while you are diving, things can change for the worst. But generally speaking, restaurant diving on bad days is going to avoid most crawling exits.

I dive for pleasure, so fearing for my life is not among those things I find pleasureable.
Just last night I went for a "night dive" at a local spot. The wind was roaring and the waves were 3-6 feet. We got out there, but after we dropped down, the vis was 0-1 foot. After 3 minutes I thumbed the dive. Amazingly we were pulled about 100 yards north from a rip but we got out ok. I wish I had just not gone in!!!

ShakaZulu:
Usually I put on all my gear, including the fins. Step back, run towards the ocean and kartwheel head over heels into the waves............

Ok, not really. With all my gear on, except for the fins, walk into the waves chest high. Put on fins and swim out. If the waves is bigger, I will drop down and swimout past the breakers.

Coming out, depending on how big it is, just swim in and remove fins, around chest high, alternatively, crawl out on hand/knees (btw, you will loose your coolness factor with this exit).

LOL

Even though I have never had to do a shore entry, I think the Moses method would work best. Just part the water, walk to desired depth, then let the water back in. This also would work well on exits and therefor maintaining the coolness factor. :crafty:

David

divebuddysean:
I dive for pleasure, so fearing for my life is not among those things I find pleasureable.
Just last night I went for a "night dive" at a local spot. The wind was roaring and the waves were 3-6 feet. We got out there, but after we dropped down, the vis was 0-1 foot. After 3 minutes I thumbed the dive. Amazingly we were pulled about 100 yards north from a rip but we got out ok. I wish I had just not gone in!!!

Curiousity, where'd you go?

divebuddysean:

For all the reasons that Pasley gave for not going in when it is rough, I gave up long ago going in when it is rough.

A lot of people don't realize or are not taught that any cove will be subject to a rip if the waves are rough enough, simply because the energy has got to go somewhere. So it normally forms a rip somewhere.

Good point about the rip. One more reason.

dlndavid:
LOL

Even though I have never had to do a shore entry, I think the Moses method would work best. Just part the water, walk to desired depth, then let the water back in. This also would work well on exits and therefor maintaining the coolness factor. :crafty:

David

That actually reminds me of the joke about Moses and Jesus playing golf at Pebble Beach which is next to Stillwater Cove in Carmel California. They both sliced their shots, and while the former was able to part the waters and find his ball, the latter was still walking on water looking for his. When the next party came up, and asked, Who does that guy think he is, walking on water like that? Moses answered, Well he thinks he's Jack Nicholas.

The point being, ordinary people have very little faith, and would not likely believe Moses or Jesus if they walked up to them.

Back
Top Bottom