Split vs. Regular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using Mares Avanti Quattro fins for a while and I find that by the end of a second dive, my legs are done for the day and my left knee swells quite a bit. I had arthroscopic knee surgery on that knee 4 yrs ago.

My LDS (which is going out of business) is telling me that split fins would be less aggravating to my knee and they recommend splits for people with bad knees.

Is this a true statement? Would I be better off with split fins, especially now that they are having a fire sale? Thanks for your input.

Some say split fins are more efficient for a flutter kick, so if that's what you use then their recommendation is probably a good one for you.

Others say split fins are very difficult to do some other types of kicks (reverse, helicopter, frog) in, so if you use these frequently, you might find them frustrating.

I'd say try them out and see what you think.

My LDS (which is going out of business) is telling me that split fins would be less aggravating to my knee

Going barefoot would be less aggravating still..........

I can only speak about what helped me. Try a neoprene knee brace, and the Atomics.

That really helped me get back up to speed. Once I did though, Jets are the only way to go....IMHO

Splits make you go faster, less stress on leg, less kicking. Poeple say that they're no good in currants, turning, frog kicking. That's all not true, they are very good in the above mentioned. My Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins(black) :dazzler1: :dazzler1: are assome. Jets are not good(my opinion). And turtles, well stay away from the turtles.

My V12 split fins are going on eBay now that I've tried my new Jet fins. 'nuff said.

I own Mares Avanti Quattros and SP Twin-jets. I think you'll find the splits, at least the twin-jets, are a ton easier to fin with. I find the Quattros much easier to get in/out of...better buckle system. Your best bet would be to borrow, or rent a pair and try them out. Good luck!

Try them out..

I had Quattros and loved them lots, till I lost one and had to borrow a friends splits..I hated splits as I'd heard they weren't decent on frog kicks, etc.

I'll never wear quattros again.

I've got V12's now - the buckle system is awesome (unlike the Jets, which I've found are prone to breaking)

But whatever split you try, you will definately notice the difference - and anyone who says you can't do different fin kicks likely heard that from somewhere and is simply repeating it...

I dive the new Tusa Splits. Bought them in cozumel. What they said about currents is true. You do have to put more effort in with current (only makes sense) But I find in still water they allow you to go faster than reg fins would. I dont know why. Anyway, I dont know if it was this board. But i saw someone with what looked like a mix between a jet and a split fin. It had the ducts on top and then the fin split near the bottom. But I have no clue who made them.

MSilvia:
Some say split fins are more efficient for a flutter kick, so if that's what you use then their recommendation is probably a good one for you.

Others say split fins are very difficult to do some other types of kicks (reverse, helicopter, frog) in, so if you use these frequently, you might find them frustrating.

I'd say try them out and see what you think.

After spending years cave diving, I use (almost exclusively) frog kick. My twin speeds (split) work extremely well with the frog kick. My reverse is as good as with my jets also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom