Anacapa...Holy #$%*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sessions

Contributor
Reaction score
I ....have raved about the diversity/animal life in catalina for the last 2 years. We took our boat to Anacapa this Saturady....I dont know if i'll ever dive anywhere local again. All i can say is we passed a huge Pod of pilots on the way there, (only took 1/2 hour from channel islands marina)....we did 3 dives, starting at the west end and worked to the "bat ray cove. All i can say is I saw bat rays, the size of my kitchen table.3 of the biggest horn sharks i have ever got close enough to pet ..calicos and sheepshead that were the biggest i have seen...caves, rock formations, and the water temp was 70 degrees. The lobster is so prevalent, they are `literally under every rock, and yet i never saw a moray eel?.,The lobster moultings are everywhere and HUGE!.....The scallops are `on nearly every rock and the deepest we went the entire time was 60 feet....though most was at 45 or above. If you have been there before...you know what i'm saying...if you have not....GO.... :dazzler1: I'm already planning our night dive for the end of the month......

as you saw in my post i will be there this weekend,I plan on getting some gps coord on my hand held and take my boat over in a couple of weeks when lobster season starts,did you launch there or is your boat there,just wondering how the ramp and docks were?

saintsfan:
as you saw in my post i will be there this weekend,I plan on getting some gps coord on my hand held and take my boat over in a couple of weeks when lobster season starts,did you launch there or is your boat there,just wondering how the ramp and docks were?
We drove from bellflower, left at 5:00am....there before 7:00, at the island before 8:00...in the water before 9:00am!. I used the "channel islands, small boat marina"....in oxnard...what a GEM!. $3.00 parking, no crowds, short distance to open water, and when you pull the boat out, there are 2 quarter fed towers, that you can hook you hose up to and wash your boat right on the ramp, as you pull out1. The whole experience was awesome. You should throw out a thread when you get reay to go, maybe we'll meet you there and take our boat back to the spots i marked on the GPS.......you couldnt find that much lobster at Von's! :wink:

Great report, thanks! I've allways wanted to schlepp the boat up that way and dive. Now you have inspired me.

Kyle

I think lobster season opens at 12:01am on oct 9th(correct me if I am wrong)so I am planning on launching fri evening before dark and heading over

your right kyle I thought it was the saturday following the 1st wednesday of the month its the preceding sat,even better I am off that fri so maybe a catalina trip instead, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom