Looking for good ol Hawiian friend Liko Self

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Fairfield, Iowa, USA-and on our sailboat Mana-Ni-W
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Aloha Liko, if you watch this board .If not-does any one know Liko Self, or where he is now?He and I went to school at the U of Hawaii at Hilo and did alot of Marine Biology research on the Kona coast 73-76 together.His mom lived south of Hilo and the last I heard was that he was teaching Marine Biology in Washington or Oregon.We pretty much dove the entire Kona coast,mapped parts of it(underwater),did baseline fish and coral and invertabrate counts , and discovered the Hawaiian Garden Eel together (and pretty much their entire range along the coast-how deep the colonies go I can't say-but I was at 220 ft once looking down and all I could see in the blue depths along the rapidly sloping sand was more garden eels).We had lots of adventures in those days diving from shore on both sides of the island and south point for a real thrill,but to get to the best sites safely and quickly,you needed a boat, esp the eastern side of South point,most of the eastern side of the island as well as the northern sides of the island. Liko-I think we need to go back for a trip again together-Lets see how the fish and reefs are holding up,and ,who knows,we may discover some new species-I promise-you can name it! Unfortunately,right now my good friend Dan Greier is missing at sea in Fiji. So if anyone knows Liko or how to contact him, please contact me by E-mail. Mahalo,Russ England. saildivers@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom