Prices going up in Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,
A Dive Op in Utila that shall remain nameless (Cough Cough - Gunthers) has informed us "Prices for fun diving have gone up across the island, the minimum priceper tank is now $17.50, making a ten package $175"

You could make an argument that $17.50 is still cheap for a dive but it represents a 40% increase from the old package rate (still advertised on their website) of $12.50/tank!!!!

Confirmations?

Thoughts?

Comments?

TEERLKAY:
You could make an argument that $17.50 is still cheap for a dive but it represents a 40% increase from the old package rate (still advertised on their website) of $12.50/tank!!!!

Confirmations?

Thoughts?

Comments?

Imagine the price of hauling the deisel fuel to Utila to power the generators that run the compressors.

Everything they eat, drink, and use must be dragged there by a circuitous route.

If you think it's high now, just wait, Pookie. (Now that YOU discovered the place :wink:And they're getting to like your money!

In 1966 we were bemoaning the $10 lift ticket at Aspen.

RoatanMan:
Imagine the price of hauling the deisel fuel...

Everything they eat, drink, and use must be dragged there...

If you think it's high now, just wait...

In 1966 we were bemoaning the $10 lift ticket...

Thanks for the thoughts and comments - can anyone give me a confirmation?

I guess you'd like confirmation from someone else, as I gave you the information originally. There have been plenty of discussions about this on the web for some time now, (mostly the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree) but I thought I'd post some other relevant numbers.
Just over a year ago, Utila finally received twenty four hour electrical service from the private Utila Power Company. By my reckoning, UPCO charges $ .22 per kilowatt hour now. (Someone please check me on this.) Check out http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/elecprii.html
for a worldwide comparison. The dates are a little off but in general we're paying 5.5x the US, 3x Switzerland, and 3.5x mainland Honduras for our power. Grenada is close, but they're struggling to have power at all right now.
That's just one example, but costs here have at least doubled in the past six years, while prices remained the same.
We have been careful not to price ourselves out of our market, which is still dominated by young travelers, and we still offer the best value in the Caribbean.
At the same time, the newly formed Utila Dive Saftey and Environental Council is taking steps to improve the diving services and the quality of the environment. We have increased tax revenue by 33% from our own pockets, we have already seen a marked improvement in fishing enforcement. We have also tabled a number of projects including plastic recycling, shoreline management and erosion control, reef building, and improved waste managment.
Yes we have increased prices out of necessity, but people still find a great value here along with a unique Caribbean experience.
Sorry about the website, we're updating it now.
tex

texinutila:
I guess you'd like confirmation from someone else, as I gave you the information originally. There have been plenty of discussions about this on the web for some time now, (mostly the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree) but I thought I'd post some other relevant numbers.
Just over a year ago, Utila finally received twenty four hour electrical service from the private Utila Power Company. By my reckoning, UPCO charges $ .22 per kilowatt hour now. (Someone please check me on this.) Check out http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/elecprii.html
for a worldwide comparison. The dates are a little off but in general we're paying 5.5x the US, 3x Switzerland, and 3.5x mainland Honduras for our power. Grenada is close, but they're struggling to have power at all right now.
That's just one example, but costs here have at least doubled in the past six years, while prices remained the same.
We have been careful not to price ourselves out of our market, which is still dominated by young travelers, and we still offer the best value in the Caribbean.
At the same time, the newly formed Utila Dive Saftey and Environental Council is taking steps to improve the diving services and the quality of the environment. We have increased tax revenue by 33% from our own pockets, we have already seen a marked improvement in fishing enforcement. We have also tabled a number of projects including plastic recycling, shoreline management and erosion control, reef building, and improved waste managment.
Yes we have increased prices out of necessity, but people still find a great value here along with a unique Caribbean experience.
Sorry about the website, we're updating it now.
tex
Tex,
I understand that your price to the diving public can’t remain the same forever as costs continue to increase. Personally I think incremental cost increases might have been a better way to go over the years instead of a 40% hike at one time but that’s not really the point.

I WAS looking for independent confirmation of prices because, quite frankly, I went to your website and saw a price of XXX dollars and when I received your email I was quoted a price SUBSTANTIALLY higher than that. I don’t think the argument of “that’s still a great deal” is the best business practice.

Now I am a little more educated and as I understand it the diving industry on Utila is basically “price-fixed” – I’ll be charged the same amount no matter who I dive with or where I take courses. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I’ll leave it to others (or the economy) to decide if that is good or bad, as far as I’m concerned it is what it is but I do have some suggestions.
1. Get the website updated ASAP – I checked your 10-dive package but I’ll bet you a cold one the other prices are outdated too. You wouldn’t hand out flyers to 50 people off the boat with outdated information, why is it OK to leave outdated info on the Website that, potentially, reaches thousands of people. If, as you say, “There have been plenty of discussions about this on the web for some time now” then there is no excuse for leaving old prices out there. If, for whatever reason, you can’t update your website in a timely manner, consider a statement such as “contact us for the latest prices and specials” and leave the prices off your website.
2. Promote the USDEC – put it on your website homepage. Let visitors know what it is, what it is trying to accomplish and why it is, in conjunction with rising costs, making it necessary to raise prices. I know if I stumbled on your website and the first thing I read about was USDEC, I would have been a whole lot more receptive to the new price scheme then the way I found out about it!

Just my 2.8 cents worth

Cheers

I like the idea of the USDEC logo on the homepage, that's a good idea Teerklay, thanks for the good input, it's a great way and good time to let the diving public know the hard efforts USDEC are taking to conserve Utilas environment in the long term.

Andy

Hi, Tex, Andy, Steve...........

I guess there are no non-conformists? Those hordes of divers arriving on the ferry and by other means have historically been good price shoppers. Very interesting indeed!

Regards,

"Personally I think incremental cost increases might have been a better way to go over the years instead of a 40% hike at one time"

But if you listen to what Tex said, all the major changes in Utila have been recent like 24 hour electricity and creating the USDEC, paying an extra tax for the environment etc.. so a price increase seems reasonable. It was 125 U$ for 10 dives in 1998/99 last time I was there, so I think an increase is due.

Why get so wound up about it? So they didn't update their web site yet, no need to lose sleep. I agree not everyone realises the importance of a web site. I mean Utila basically runs by word of mouth, there will always be plenty of young travelers going there. I went first time in 1996 and had not looked at any web sites, just good old Lonely Planet guidebooks :). Gunters has been on Utila a looong time and will always get customers. A slightly out of date web site is no reason to get flamed and lectured to. Mind you, they should have explained the reasons behind the difference when they first contacted you.

How many other operators there did you contact? What prices did you get from them?

Utila was always too cheap really, catering to backpackers who normally have more money that they let on. And Utila is trying to attract a more diverse crowd of divers these days. It's not just a cheap-PADI-course island any more. But still cheap..I mean 175 U$ for 10 dives..does this include gear? - our prices before always did when I was working there. Almost anywhere else you reckon on 50 U$ for 2 dives, and maybe 10-15 U$ for gear.

How much for an Open Water course in Utila right now? Andy, Tex...?

And I think the price fixing is very good. It is needed otherwise you get price wars. Back in 1995/96 there were dive centres doing courses for 100-125 U$, which is insane. In 1999 when I was there a price fix was made, and rubber stamped by the Mayor (Monty), I think it was 159 U$ for a PADI Open Water. A dive centre found to be doing cheap courses could be closed according to "island law" :)

Ah, Utila...

PS - you islanders. Question. Is Dempsey Thompson still serving Johnny cakes, or is he now in heaven? Lovely guy. One of the people I miss when I think about Utila.

TEERLKAY,

I'm on Utila right now getting my Divemaster cert. Prices across the island went up the week before I got here, just a little over a month ago. With that, most classes are $199 (OW-Rescue) and fun dives are at a min. of $17.50, but if you dive less than 10 then it can be as "high" as $20. Not only are the prices up, but they are not allowed to throw in free rooms anymore or other gifts. I have heard of some shops breaking these rules (and risking getting steep fines). There are also additional reef fees that every shop must charge (but are usually the small print) of $3 a day (discounts for 30+ days). Some are able to offer discounts associated "sister" hotels with minimum rent set at $3 a night.

Since prices are standardized, I think that it actually makes the choice of dive shop easier. When you come down, check out all of the shops and choose the shop that best fits your personality and offers the service and type and condition of equipment that fit you best. With 10 shops on the island you have plenty to choose from. With the stnardized pricing, hopefully most of them can stick around for many years to come.

As far as how each shop chooses to inform people that prices have risen is up to them, although I think all are very straightforward when asked. Realize that this is an island with island culture and not a whole lot of things happen rapidly, and internet web pages are probably way down the list. Besides full-time webmasters would only make prices go up. Don't worry about the mix-up. It's not a devious plan (although, believe me, I can understand your pain in trip planning). Take it in stride, it's still a great deal. Come down and enjoy, and pick the shop that is best for you when you get here.

Best of luck!

Cuda,

As always there is the rogue operator, but then and again as the appropriate adage goes....

'You pay peanuts you get monkeys'

Andy

Back
Top Bottom