Hunting Trophies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This thread has been up long enough to get lots of dedicated readers/posters. Its time to see what you got.

Please post pictures of your trophy catches here. I'd love to see the ones that didn't get away.

I'd post mine, but they are nothing to brag about, so I will wait until just the right catch comes along.

Please post!

This one took me for a ride. I shot it from pretty close (like 10') at about 85' FSW. He took off for the bottom, which was about 400' FSW. When he got to the end of the cable, he yanked the gun out of my hand. I managed to catch the lanyard with my fingertips as it was sliding off of my wrist, and finally got him stopped at about 120' FSW. It was the first time I ever considered letting go of my gun...

He did get me third place in the weekend tournament though :)

kaborkian:
I managed to catch the lanyard with my fingertips as it was sliding off of my wrist, and finally got him stopped at about 120' FSW.
He did get me third place in the weekend tournament though :)

Do a search over on spearboard for info on the riding rig. Havng the gun/fish tied to you or with a lanyard OVER the wrist is a good way for your wife to collect your life insurance, especially if shooting anything over 20 pounds. Every year a few rig divers make that mistake in deep water. Usually the body is not recovered.

AJ's are known as fish from Hell for a reason. When you shoot one they will invariably sound if you don't stone it.

Congrats on the win!

FT

FredT:
AJ's are known as fish from Hell for a reason. When you shoot one they will invariably sound if you don't stone it.

Congrats on the win!

FT

Would you mind breaking down the underlined parts into a form of english? Everything else I understood. :wink:

Joe

That's why they call them reef donkeys.....LOL! :)

AJ = AmberJacks
Sound = dive deep, like a sub
Stone = kill, head shot, as in stone them dead - NOT a meat shot

Thanks. That's better.

Joe

Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father;
hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy,
flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

I hunt for food, not for trophies.

The only photos you would see from me are fish bones.

The tenderest fillet of the fish is the flesh above the jaw bone. When you harvest this part, it pretty much destroys any trophy mounting value. And by trophy mounting, you miss out on this, the best part of the meat.

I could show you photos of my spear, stringer, ice chest, and fishing knife, however. Those are my trophies.

check out my photo gallary, there is a huge lingcond about 50 lbs, but the picture is too large for me to post it as an attatchment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom