Halcyon Fit and Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been reading alot about the Halcyon BP/wing and just wondering looking at their Harness how comfortable it is. Looking at theirs verse say OMS comfort fit harnesses, it seems that Halcyon might not be that comfortable. I would think that the lack of a breast strap might let the shoulder straps slip. That and the OMS seem to have padded shoulder straps were the Halcyon does not. Just curious I'm sure the Halcyons are very comfortable but I've never talked to anyone who has owned one.
Thanks

The harness is very comfortable. And the shoulder straps don't slip off if you have the harness adjusted properly. I don't think pads and such are needed.

DavidHickey:
I've been reading alot about the Halcyon BP/wing and just wondering looking at their Harness how comfortable it is. Looking at theirs verse say OMS comfort fit harnesses, it seems that Halcyon might not be that comfortable. I would think that the lack of a breast strap might let the shoulder straps slip. That and the OMS seem to have padded shoulder straps were the Halcyon does not. Just curious I'm sure the Halcyons are very comfortable but I've never talked to anyone who has owned one.
Thanks

Unless you wear it on your bare skin your wetsuit or drysuit and undergarment provide enough padding.
And underwater you don't need any padding anyway.

I routinely put my doubles on over a light shirt and walk up and down stairs in my house. The shoulder straps do not hurt if the harness is adjusted properly, as Wendy said.

MD

A lot of people compare harnesses and BC's on the surface. Putting the weight at the top of your shoulders isn't my idea of a cake walk. But underwater, where things really matter, you won't even know that the BP/harness is there.

As was said previously, you don't need the padding unless you're wearing the rig on your bare skin.

Ditto what everyoneelse said.

I too was concerned at the lack of a chest strap before buying my first plate...yoou dont need it, trust us.

Having just started I have 5 dives in a "jacket" BCD and 1 in a bp/wing with single piece harness and no shoulder pads etc.. - Switching from the Jacket to the Backplate was the difference of going from a suit and tie to a t-shirt for me. It was an incredible difference to my way of thinking. On land we had about a 50 yard walk to the water, the straps were just slightly more uncomfortable on the bp on land (not much however) but once in the water it was almost as if the harness disappeared. I was in "hog" heaven so to speak.

Tim

Forget about the chest strap! It's just more junk to get in the way. Halcyon products are not cheap (believe me) but they are top notch and very well thought out. The shoulder straps kinda end up behind you at the bottom not directly under the shoulder slots so if you have them adjusted properly the unit fits like a glove (it wraps around your torso) and it will not slip off.

CALI68:
Forget about the chest strap! It's just more junk to get in the way. Halcyon products are not cheap (believe me) but they are top notch and very well thought out. The shoulder straps kinda end up behind you at the bottom not directly under the shoulder slots so if you have them adjusted properly the unit fits like a glove (it wraps around your torso) and it will not slip off.

I'm a bit confused ... we're just talking about a harness here, right? Why should Halcyon's 2" webbing be any more expensive (or top notch) than anyone else's 2" webbing? I mean, it's just webbing!

This whole conversation is about a standard harness ... other than the little blue H on the webbing, what's different between Halcyon's harness and one that you can build yourself by purchasing 12 feet or so of nylon webbing at your local hardware store?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
what's different between Halcyon's harness and one that you can build yourself by purchasing 12 feet or so of nylon webbing at your local hardware store?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like to think that my webbing may have been touched by JJ himself. Makes me all warm and fuzzy

Aside from that. I have a roll of webbing that is stiff as a board, while my Halcyon harness is more suple. About the only thing I'd pay H for anymore...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom