Ed Robinsons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbramley

Registered
Reaction score
Saw a lot of hype about these guys in the internet. I am going to be in Maui October 23-30th. I booked 2 days diving with them but felt a little funny when I got off of the phone. I can't decide if the person I talked to was in a hurry or just not too friendly. This is the first time I booked a trip (fairly new diver) but it is likely I will not be back to Hawaii for a long time and I want this to be a good experience. Does anyone have any experience with them? Maybe I should cancel and re-book elsewhere, but I don't want to do that if it is just me. I booked a local dive (likely the crater) on Sunday and then Cathedrals on Wednesday. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

It's been a few years but I've chartered with Ed Robinson two different trips. The were some of the best and most memorable charters I've had. They definitely weren't a cattle boat. The dive guides were excellent. Friendly, professional and knowledgeable.

If the cathedrals are what I remember them, they are phenomenal. I recall lava bubbles turned into rock that we swam into. Lots of lobsters lived in them. Parts of the bubbles had worn away and light streamed in through the holes. While inside it was like being in a cathedral with the sun shining through stained glass windows.

I just pulled a book from my shelf, "An Underwater Guide to Hawai'i" by Ann Fielding and Ed Robinson. I've used this book many times when diving the Pacific. & loaned it out a few times.

The funny thing is that earlier in my post I said I dove with Ed Robinson a few years ago. I just noticed that Ed signed the book to me in 1990. Guess it's been more than a few years. Hopefully someone will have more current information. But, I'd find it hard to believe that such a professional operation would deteriorate too much.

Paula

I have not dove with Ed Robinson's, but I was in Maui a few weeks ago. We did all of our diving with Scuba Shack - they were a very good outfit in my opinion.
Ed Robinson's boats were departing the dock at the same time and the crews looked very professional and he had a nice dive boat. I would feel confident in choosing to dive with him. I also would highly recommend Scuba Shack.

Scuba Shack does not go to the Cathedrals. Next time I'm in Hawaii I'll be doing that trip with Ed Robinson's.

You can get better information about diving ops by asking underwater photographers who they use for scuba trips. The reason is that UW photogs are very demanding, and want to see the best marine life, dive sites, etc. and don't want to be on a cattle boat full of students on checkout dives.

The advantage of going with ERDA is that they use Kihei rather than Lahaina for their boat, and that means less cruising time on the boat when going to Molokini, etc. sites.

If you are worried, call back, and tell them your concerns as a new diver and how you need a little reassurance. I'm sure that they will take care of your needs.

P.S. My last dive a few years ago, there were some new divers on the boat. My dive buddy and I were at our safety stop when we saw a giant manta. We followed it down and it was about 90 or 100 feet before we turned back and did our safety stop. Good thing I had over 1/3rd a tank when we spotted him, or I should say, when he spotted us. We were heading back after an hour in the water, but the new divers were already back on board and didn't even see it...

You can tell him I say hello, I'm Mark Harbison's friend from Tokyo.

It's been awhile for me too, 1992, but we liked Ed Robinson's a lot. If I get back to Maui I'd definitely use them again.

I "took them diving" in May of this year. I say it that way because that's how I was treated by them -- a peer, that they happened to be guiding. The dive masters are great at making you feel comfortable and offered tips to become less of an airhog (yes, I admit it, I can't get enough of the stuff!) :) They have a very strong passion for diving and it shows through.

Totall recommend them.

Great op, though I admit the feeling I had on the phone was not great. Being that I have had that feeling from nearly every American business I've dealt with, especially on the islands, I wasn't too concerned -- it just seems to be the way of doing business there. (Please, no flames -- it's a cultural difference, not a slam!!!)

BTW, re: Scuba Shack. I've heard they're fine for guys, but the owner is a bit of a creep, according to my sources.

Wow, I feel much better now!!! It is great how I can get such good first hand experiences on this board. Invaluable!! I will stick with them, just wish I had more days to dive.

Dan

I go to Maui once a year and Ed Robinson's is the only op we use. They are very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. I'm sure you'll have an incredible dive experience with them.

dbramley:
I booked 2 days diving with them but felt a little funny when I got off of the phone. I can't decide if the person I talked to was in a hurry or just not too friendly. ..
Dan
Ed Robinson is near the top of my preferred Maui dive ops. Great attitudes, good people. I look forward to diving with them again in December.

With 2 boats and 2 groups of 6 divers per boat, they are pretty good about putting together divers of similar abilities and experience.

The guy you talked to might have been one of their captains answering while out on the boat.

My only complaint about Ed Robinson is that their divers pop up to the surface all over the backwall of Molokini as individuals or buddy pairs from two different groups of 6 do their ascents as they hit their ascent pressure. If you called Ed Robinson while the captain was running back and forth between the 2 groups picking up divers,then he'd probably sound a bit hurried.

Charlie

IMHO:
Ed Robinson
Mike Severns
B&B Scuba

These operators do not do the run of the mill dive sites and they do not take snorkelers onboard. They are dive boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom