Wrist mount or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FyrFytr

Registered
Reaction score
As a new diver I am looking to get my first set of equipment. After reading through a lot of threads I have decided that a computer is the way to go. I know that I am asking personal preferences, but I was wondering what people thought about getting one set in the gague console versus wearing it on your wrist.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

A wrist mounted computer is much better for decompression diving as you need to look at it much more during ascent. However, as you are some way from that its a bit of a non-issue.

- Console mounted are easier to damage as it can get caught up with wreckage or banged or rocks etc.
- Wrist mounted are (in theory) more likely to fall off.

As you say. Personal preference is the main driver. Also you need to consider whether the model you choose is really suitable for console use. Some are air-integrated and this is another (confusing) option for you to consider.

I used an Oceanic in a console for many years. I now use wrist mounted as my diving has advanced and I do decompression diving.

If starting again I don't think I would have any great issues with either.

Chris

Even if you do no decompression diving at all, mounting your computer on the right wrist is my strong recommendation. Easier to look at, which you do constantly on ascent and on safety stops whilst leaving the left hand free to dump/add air from/into the BCD. With the computer wrist mounted, it also makes sense (budget permitting) to go for air integration - that way, there's only one place to look for all the information you need to manage the dive safely.

I have a Scubapro console as backup and cross-check. Some argue that it's not really necessary but that's a matter of personal preference.

The main disadvantage to wrist mount is loss - either in the water or on land - its easier to loose since its not tied to the regulator. Don't forget you'll still need a console of sorts for SPG and compass at least.

Bigger decision will probably be what computer to buy (i.e. how advanced). No easy answer there.

I dive with a Cochran Commander. Had it on a console but that was just too big and bulky. I've switched it to a retractor with compass. Have not dived with it setup this way yet, but also have the wrist straps. I'll try the retractor for a while then the wrist. I'm thinking wrist will be the final location.

Personally, I like having my computer on my right wrist, with my compass on the left. I started diving with a console, then found this site and decided to remove all the components from the boot. Wow, there was a lot of sand and salt residue in there! I added a bolt snap to the SPG (left hip), bungees to the compass and computer and voila! A setup where I felt more streamlined, a flick of the wrist to check my computer (not to mention that on ascent, I can vent my BC with my left while monitoring my depth from the right hand), and became a much more happy camper. Don't have to worry about all the salt and sand in the console boot, either.

On the flip side, it's been argued that wrist mounted stuff makes donning your gear harder, though all it takes is a bit of practice to get the technique right. Also, if your lobstering technique involves reaching your hand into crevices, wrist mount may not be a good thing.

It works for my diving, though.

I like the convenience of consoles

Consoles get dragged on the bottom, reef, wreck, deck.... You can put a retractor on it, but it still happens. Most divers do not drag their wrists on the bottom.

I switched when i got a compass. The console was just too dificult to drag out and align for navigation. Once the compass was on the wrist, I moved the computer an depth gauge there. Only the SPG is clipped to my hip d-ring. I find it much easier to use. You can easily read it while hanging on an up line, or doing a free ascent.

tedwhiteva:
Bigger decision will probably be what computer to buy (i.e. how advanced). No easy answer there.

I would suggest a Nitrox compatable model with user replaceable batteries. This should last many years without the need to upgrade.

This still leaves a wide choice of both wrist and console models sadly.....

Chris

I started with a console mounted one for my first 50 or 60 dives and so got used to it...unfortunately my 1st computer didn't do nitrox, so then I had to upgrade - so I got a wrist mounted one (and used as my primary) and kept the older console mounted one as my secondary computer
....for the first few dives, I found myself looking at the console one all the time rather than the new wrist one, but after a few more dives I got used to looking at the wrist mounted one - and love it
....as everone says....itz just a preference and what you get used to.

For the console one, I have a retractable landard, so it doesn't drag and it is easy to pull up to my face to see when ascending (or just wanting to see) but I now find I mainly only consult the wrist one

With Air Integrated, everything is in one place which can make it easier (I didn't do this, so look at my SPG in the console - no big deal as I'm used to it)...same with a compass, can either be attached to console, or on your wrist.

...choices, choices, choices....but don't worry, after a few dives you will get used to (and feel comfortable) with whatever config you choose (but make sure you get a Nitrox compatible computer!!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom