Six Gill Shark at Redondo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakjar

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving today with my dive buddy, Kerri, at Redondo Beach. We entered the water at around 10:00am. We took a direct west heading from the bottom of the ladder at the pier.

At 80 fsw, we reached the boat with a horse statue attached to the front of it. Kerrie was trying to get her mask to defog as I went to swim around the boat. As I approached the back, a large six gill shark swam approximately 3 feet in front of my face.

I had my camera but by the time I turned it on, the shark had started to swim off. All I got was back splatter. Thinking the shark had left the area, I turned to Karri and signaled shark!

We started back toward the surface when the shark circled around us again. This time it was approximately 10 feet away with about 10 to 15 feet of vis. This time I just watched it and how graceful it moved through the water. My light shined in its eye and the reflection was quite eerie.

I guess the shark had enough by that time, it swam off and we never saw it again.

I estimate the shark being between 8 to 10 feet in length. That was the highlight of my trip......

Wow!!! Lucky you. I've yet to have a six gill grace me with its presence!

Isnt it nice how the south sounds most pathetic dive site is the newest home to six gill sightings, I wonder if the drain from Saltys restaurant spills into the sound under the pier? that would draw them in, heck if I could smell underwater I think I would find my way too. Ive dove at Owens beach looking for a six gill but with no luck, man that was a night dive. I found a old moorage line with a float at 95' or so but didnt find the barge.

DoubleDip:
Isnt it nice how the south sounds most pathetic dive site is the newest home to six gill sightings, I wonder if the drain from Saltys restaurant spills into the sound under the pier? that would draw them in, heck if I could smell underwater I think I would find my way too. Ive dove at Owens beach looking for a six gill but with no luck, man that was a night dive. I found a old moorage line with a float at 95' or so but didnt find the barge.

To each their own ... I suppose.

Personally, I enjoy diving Redondo. I've been seeing six-gills there for two years now. There are two (a 10' male and an 8' female) that seem to be resident, and are spotted there with some regularity.

Rakjar most likely saw the female, as she seems to actually notice and approach divers (the male mostly just ignores us). On a recent dive my buddy and I were looking under the boat at 55 fsw when I turned around and she was hovering about 3 feet from our fins, watching us.

But by all means ... please do put the word out that Redondo is a pathetic dive site ... it'll make finding a parking spot so much easier for those of us who know better ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DoubleDip:
Ive dove at Owens beach looking for a six gill but with no luck, man that was a night dive. I found a old moorage line with a float at 95' or so but didnt find the barge.

The "barge" at Owen's beach is just a little ways West of the old mooring you're describing, at about the same depth. Swim West another 100' or so at 95' depth and you should run right into it. We've seen SixGills a couple of times just West of the barge, always females.

DoubleDip:

Ok, I am man enough to believe every person has their own opinion. However, I come up from Portland and have dove Redondo on many occasions. I believe that site has a lot to offer. I enjoy going there and will continue to do so.

Now that I have seen a six gill at this site, I will go back and try to get a good picture next time. If you don't like diving there I don't mind. Maybe, the less divers around will make it so the six gill come out more.

By the way, I am open to diving other sites. If you want to go to any other site, I would love to dive with you and see why you have determined Redondo does not match up.

Please dont take umbrage to my calling Redondo pathetic, its a driver and a 3-wood from my house. Myself, I like to go down to Saltwater park and take pictures, I never get bored with the tire reefs that the Boeing dive club put in the area. Redondo is lacking the large eel grass area that Saltwater has to offer and it has much less boat traffic. I did see a Sea Lion 40' from me one night on entry at Redondo but he was gone in a moment, it would have been awesome to see that dude in the water! It's been a while since I dove Redondo and it may be some time still, my "buddy" has gotten into killing Octopus and everything else underwater instead of looking, thankfully he hasn't found out about Seaweed soup yet!

LOL - to each their own. I don't dive Saltwater State Park much due to the chronic poor vis and long surface swim. Last time I was there, I hit (literally) the tire reef before I saw it.

I also live very close (2.5 miles) to Redondo, which is why I dive there a lot ... was just there last evening, in fact. If I'm going to head further north, I prefer Three Tree Point North ... or Seacrest Cove 2.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DoubleDip:
It's been a while since I dove Redondo and it may be some time still, my "buddy" has gotten into killing Octopus and everything else underwater instead of looking, thankfully he hasn't found out about Seaweed soup yet!

Your buddy goes around killing the beautiful, graceful giant Octopus?

Do us all a favour and stick a spear in him please!

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL - to each their own. I don't dive Saltwater State Park much due to the chronic poor vis and long surface swim. Last time I was there, I hit (literally) the tire reef before I saw it.

I also live very close (2.5 miles) to Redondo, which is why I dive there a lot ... was just there last evening, in fact. If I'm going to head further north, I prefer Three Tree Point North ... or Seacrest Cove 2.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have to agree with you Bob, I too like Redondo Bh. It's less then a mile from my house and can be a very interesting dive, especially if the 6 Gills come out to play. The parking situation is not as good as it was before the recent work on the parking area and boat ramp. I like it better then Salt Water Pk. or 3 Tree Point though.

I really like boat diving best of all, as I'm not much for long strolls with all the equipment on. If one gets to Redondo Bh. early most of the time you can park next to the Sea wall and it's really a short entry, especially if the tides in. For me it's a great spot to get in a dive without spending a lot of time in transit and/or last minute decision to get a dive in, or checking out some new equipment. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom