black or white skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my black skirt.. I recently broke a mask buckle and went diving with a clear skirt. It was a sunny day and I got lots of reflections on the mask lenses from light coming down from the sun directly into the mask through the skirt. I like my black skirt, the clear skirt is just annoying.

I prefer a black skirt. It seems as though I get better vision in low-light situations (that whole pupil dialation thing). Alot of people don't like the black because they feel it contributes to claustrophobia and feel more comfortable with the clear ones. It really is up to you. I would recommend trying each and seeing how you like each one.

I dove my first year using a black skirted mask, around 40 dives, I just changed to the transparent and found it to be like night and day, literally. The black limits your peripheral vision. I no longer have to turn and twist my head to check on my dive buddy. I can see him through the skirt and (for me) I have a better view all around.

Like was already posted, you need to try them both for yourself.

It depends what you're doing on your dive. If your sightseeing, I recommend the clear skirt. If your hunting, the black.

one of the few advantages of the clear skirt is the increased light reduces the claustrophobic feeling in some divers.

Advantages of black skirt:

No reflections
better low light vision
they dont look dirty or old
black is more Macho.

cancun mark:
one of the few advantages of the clear skirt is the increased light reduces the claustrophobic feeling in some divers.

Advantages of black skirt:

No reflections
better low light vision
they dont look dirty or old
black is more Macho.

I don't know what is "Macho" about a black skirt unless your wearing a kilt like in Braveheart. But Mell Gibson would never dive in a skirt. I never wear a skirt when diving in public.

amport:
I don't know what is "Macho" about a black skirt unless your wearing a kilt like in Braveheart. But Mell Gibson would never dive in a skirt. I never wear a skirt when diving in public.

Amport, I think you are confusing black skirt with either:

Black miniskirt,
or
little black dress.

Neither of which is macho, neither of which I wear personally, and the thought of Mel Gibson wearing a little black dress makes me want to go and clean all the hair and stickyplasters out of the filter of my dive pool.

:wink:

franklinreinoza:
I was wondering if it is different to see through a mask that have a black skirt or a transparent skirt?

is it different?

I, like many, many new divers started with a clear skirt. Actually, with a huge multi-windowed affair that was more like strapping a 5-gallon aquarium to my grill than a diving mask.

Dove it for a couple of years. On an intro dive with my sister the DM asked if I'd like to try a black mask - he had a spare he carried. So at depth, he handed it off, and I switched.

Woah.

Low profile, black. It just changed everything for me. I felt so much more comfortable, I could see better, I was able to focus better without all the side stuff and invasive light.

I immediately bought a black skirted mask, and I've never gone back.

Making the switch at depth really helped me to see the difference.

I have friends who can't stand black masks. Its all up to you.

K

As others have said, it's up to you...I prefer black, finding the extra light coming in on a clear one distracting. Another thing, not mentioned by anyone yet, which I often see as a guide, is that black doesn't show your runny nose when you have equalizing problems, ha ha. Probably not significant enough to sway anyone's decision either way, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom