You dirty clam, you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This week end we had our company clambake. I pick up the clams on Friday night so that I can make the crowder the night before.

I steamed up about 5 dz. from the bushel. Wow were they gritty both inside and out. I can only attribute this to all the hurricane activity lately.

An old timer once told me that he always sprinkled the clams with corn meal the night before and this would assure that you would not find any sand inside of the clams.

Well we had to do something or none of my co-workers would have any enamel left on their teeth. :D. So I tried it and sure enough the next day the clams lost all of the internal grit.

If we have any marine biologist hanging around, I would appreciate an explanation of how and why this works.

i'm not a biologist, but i love to cook.
i read that the clams eat the flour and that way it cleans their intestines.

I am a redirected New Englander and lived on Cape Cod for years. Clams were a major part of my diet - Love them! I had a couple techniques - one was to put the clams in a mesh bag and hang them off the pier next to my house for a day - that way whatever was in them went out. When that wasn't practical I would put them in a big bucket or bowl and sprinkle them with cornmeal. They would ingest the cornmeal and expel the sand. The cornmeal makes a yummy belly.

I always just put them in a bucket of saltwater overnite and the sand woud come out.

I will need to try the cornmeal and see if the taste is better!

Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom