Oct 21st-If you were booking diving in S FL, where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjoeldm

Contributor
Reaction score
My son bought tickets to Miami for himself to go diving for his 30th Bday, Sept 2nd! Needless to say he didn't go, but he could not move his flights back very far, only to October 21st, so my question is, if you were booking a hotel today to dive somewhere from WPB to Key West, where would you book?

My inclination is Key West since it seems to have been missed this go 'round, but I'd like some other input on the quality of diving and the likelihood that conditions would be better at one area or another. We'll have a rental, (oh, right, he's invited me . . . and my credit card) so there's some mobility, but if I book a hotel down in the Keys, that's probably where we'd dive.

I've been diving in the Keys all the way down and along the coast by WPB and Miami, but it's been a while, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

JoeL

A few more details would be nice, are you looking for wrecks or reefs, shallow or deep..???
I just did some diving in Key West and Marathon last weekend the weather was perfect but the vis was spotty. I am heading down again Oct. 22-24 weekend to do some wrecks.
MM

dagodiver:
A few more details would be nice, are you looking for wrecks or reefs, shallow or deep..???
MM

Yes. : )

Just looking for a general assessment of vis in the area now and what it is likely to be -- one dive shop said 15' now and should be significantly better in three weeks. But that's a dive shop.

JoeL

Barring any more hurricanes I would tend to agree with the dive shop. The vis has been really bad everywhere around this area as a result of the 4 storms we've had. If no more show up on our doorstep the vis should improve over the next few weeks.

IMO, knowing what I know about south Florida diving, if I were flying into Miami I'd look at diving in this area and skip the Keys. We have some great diving here and you can find nearly everything you want, wrecks, reefs and even some beach diving. Check out this link for some of the local sites.

Dive sites Look on the left side of the page and select the type of diving you want to check out.

jjoeldm:
My son bought tickets to Miami for himself to go diving for his 30th Bday, Sept 2nd! Needless to say he didn't go, but he could not move his flights back very far, only to October 21st, so my question is, if you were booking a hotel today to dive somewhere from WPB to Key West, where would you book?

My inclination is Key West since it seems to have been missed this go 'round, but I'd like some other input on the quality of diving and the likelihood that conditions would be better at one area or another. We'll have a rental, (oh, right, he's invited me . . . and my credit card) so there's some mobility, but if I book a hotel down in the Keys, that's probably where we'd dive.

I've been diving in the Keys all the way down and along the coast by WPB and Miami, but it's been a while, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

JoeL
Based on what I've read, heard, and experienced first-hand... Key Largo is the "garden spot" of Florida diving this fall. We dived the Grove twice on Friday, with 60-80' of visibility. French Reef had 60' of viz... the Benwood had 40'. We carry ten divers max, and offer excellent rates at the Holiday Inn, Ramada, and Marina Del Mar. Let me know if we can help.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom