Ikelight Products from Other Vendors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kengar

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new here, so I hope I don't step on any toes or offend anyone or violate any protocols.

Here's my question. Why is it that Ikelight products (as is the case with respect to many products) can be had for a bit less at camera supply houses on the 'net than directly from Ikelight? For example, between the Oly 8080 Ikelight housing and complete DS125 strobe setup, I can save 300 - 350 dollars, depending on which vendor I use. Will Ikelight not service/warranty the product if I don't get it directly from them? Are the vendors (Adorama, B & H Photo) selling gray market goods?

Thanks for your input.

As far as I know Ikelite generally doesn't sell directly to the customer. Prices quoted on the Ike site are recommended retail prices. Vendors get Ikelite products at wholesale prices and can discount, especially if they offer a package.

Thanks, ReyeR. Per Ike's answer to the same Q on the WetPixel board, you're right re not selling direct. I hadn't heard back from him re the cost numbers on their website, but I figured that was what might be the story.

Given the importance of the housing, I figured this was a situation where it would be better to spend a little more and get it straight from the source, if that was the case.

Anyone have experience with Adorama and/or B and H Photo, both of which are in New York?

B&H is one of the older and more respected mail order camera houses on the web. They have been around for many years and have always given me good service. I know nothing about Adorama.

I've bought things from both Adorama and B&H and never had a problem.

Ike will back up his products regardless of where they were purchased

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom