Job forcing move to OAHU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joddie

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well I have to say I'm not at all dissapointed about the move as I am dying to leave south korea (water is too cold) and I miss the good ole USA, the diving conditions are not very good at all water is always rough,cold and strong currents but vis is around 12meters. So I will be happy when I can do some year round diving I will be working in central oahu so I guess I have good access to all parts of the island I hope. I should be there in Feb. and I cant wait so I hope to meet some of my fellow scubaboarders also if there is any info that you can give me that would be very helpful thanks

joddie

You poor thing....have to move to Oahu.....lol:wink:
Can't think of anything off the top of my head, so ask away.
Aloha,
Lisa

joddie:
also if there is any info that you can give me that would be very helpful thanks

joddie

Have lots of very effective sunscreen, and lots of money.

MD

joddie:
well I have to say I'm not at all dissapointed about the move as I am dying to leave south korea (water is too cold) and I miss the good ole USA, the diving conditions are not very good at all water is always rough,cold and strong currents but vis is around 12meters. So I will be happy when I can do some year round diving I will be working in central oahu so I guess I have good access to all parts of the island I hope. I should be there in Feb. and I cant wait so I hope to meet some of my fellow scubaboarders also if there is any info that you can give me that would be very helpful thanks

joddie

Will you be working on Schoefield, perhaps?

There may still be some humpbacks around in February. No shore diving on the North Shore, though, at that time of year.

Join a club or two to get better boat dive rates (PM me and I can hook you up). Most boat dives do a relatively deep wreck dive first, and a more shallow reef dive second. This information is important if you aren't used to deep dives.

Welcome to the hana.

joddie:

joddie

I don't know if you've been to Oahu or any of the Hawaiian islands but I will say this. One of the most memorable and thrilling days of my life was the first time I came out of the Likiliki Hwy tunnel on the windward side, looked up at the mountains and thought, "I must be dreaming. These look like something out of a fairy tale". Plus, not only is the diving good, but the surf is the best on the planet. When I lived there I didn't bother diving. Surfing (at age 22-30) was way more fun. (ok,ok flame me, but it's true. If you love the water, you'll love the surf) Enjoy. Hank

well thanks everyone for the info ......I really cant wait anylonger its getting cold here

I will be working on wheeler airfield

and from what ive been looking at so far money doesnt go very far at all.......is there anyone rich here that wants a new family...j/k I'm sure we will be ok I hope....sunscreen should be cheap right?
:crafty:
and as far as surfing goes I want to try that again, tried it off the coast of washington state a few years back and i sucked!!!!!

I am trying to get my DM, I dont want to start it here because i dont think i will have time to finish it so does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks again and yes im planning on joining some clubs seanmf I will pm you

joddie,
Learning to surf takes a long time and dedication. The main thing is to get into shape so you can paddle. You'll have a raw chest and very sore shoulders for a while. Then learn to dunk dive the board to get thru waves. Go to a shop and tell the guys your ability and they'll help you choose a board for your size, weight and ability. Start out at Queens or one of the other Waikiki breaks...nice and gentle. DON'T go straight to the North Shore. And remember, when the Hawaiians are saying the waves are 5 feet....it's fricken BIG. They measure the waves from the back so a 5 foot swell hitting the reef will jack up to a 10 foot face. Go for it. Hank

hank,
thanks for all the surfing info I am gonna give it another try. why not its surfing paradise right! as for surfing over diving we will see I love diving so that is going to be hard to make me not dive and just surf....

again thanks for all the info

joddie

I don't know this dude, but I use his website to look at homeprices all the time. Might be a good place to get an idea of housing here. www.johnriggins.net

also, I took surfing lessons from Sunset Suzy
She's one of the nicest people on the island and gives like a 4 hour lesson for the cost of a 30 min lesson in Waikiki. She took me to the north shore in December, showed me the safe places to surf.

YOu picked a good place to live/work. Not much traffic. Otherwise, you can expect 30-60 minutes for a 15 mile commute down H-1.

Welcome to Oahu!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom