Maui In Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I will be heading to Maui in Jan and looking to do some diving. He'll be a newly minted OW diver, so, nothing to technical.

We're not rich so we don't want to pay the $50.00 per dive thing. I'll be bringing my most of my gear except the heavy stuff. I prefer to rent a back inflate or BP/W setup. My buddy's in class so he hasn't decided on his gear preferences yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

Where will you be staying? If in Kihei, contact B&B Scuba. I found them to be reasonably priced and very customer-service oriented. Gear rentals are one of the few inexpensive things you'll get in Maui.

Do Molokini at least once ... boat dives are bloody expensive though.

Shore dives I'd recommend ... Black Rock, Milepost 14, Five Graves, and Makena Landing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Quarrior:
My buddy and I will be heading to Maui in Jan and looking to do some diving. He'll be a newly minted OW diver, so, nothing to technical.

We're not rich so we don't want to pay the $50.00 per dive thing. I'll be bringing my most of my gear except the heavy stuff. I prefer to rent a back inflate or BP/W setup. My buddy's in class so he hasn't decided on his gear preferences yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

First off your probably not going to find any guided shore diving for $50.00 and boat dives are around $125.00 + taxes (4.167% + 2% Harbors & Navigation tax & usually rounded out to 7% for the customer) for a two tank dive.
The book justleesa suggested is the best shore dive guide for Maui. Be sure you are both comfortable diving some of these sites w/o a guide as your buddy is a new diver.
"Talk story" with Shaka Doug who frequents this forum and has a dive business in South Maui. He may be of help you with some guided shore dives if you choose not to do some of them by yourselves. The guide book will show you the location, entry and exit points, along with skill levels, but not the dive profile itself.
The least expensive gear rental is Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei. I doubt you will find a back inflate as a rental and even less likely to find BP/W as rental gear. Rental gear is the more durable and less exensive brand models which are sold to dive shops at a very cheap rate so the company gets their brand name exposed.That's not to say it is not good gear.

Aloha!

The best and least expensive way to get started on some Hawaii diving is to try some shore dives. You will be amazed at the amount of marine life that can be found just a few feet from shore. There are numerous dive sites available and each one has it's own unique special features. There can be hazards and it is always best to go with someone who knows the area. If you get out on a tour with someone reputable, you won't need to worry about renting gear, it will be supplied and you will be able to rely on it fitting you well and working properly. Let me know if you would like more info, I hit the water almost everyday and would be happy to update you on conditions and stuff.

Have Fun!

you might want to keep your boat diving options open because the last few days the shore diving hasnt been that great. Too much WNW swell and even some rain this morning has the water pretty murky off South Maui. Of course by the time you guys get here, it may have cleared up, but during winter, you never know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom