Shore Diving near Biscayne Bay/Florida City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Anyone know any good shore dives in this area?

Since I can't be diving I am dreaming about diving!

Thanks!

Biscayne bay is pretty shallow, not much in the way of visibility and there's not much diveable shoreline. The ocean side of Elliot key is great diving with no crowds like the keys but you do need a boat to get there. There is a boat that runs out of the park headquarters

I guess I was not clear about my question.

I am looking for places to do shore dives around Homestead/Florida City Or within driving distance from the national park.

We are making a trip to the National Park (Biscayne Bay) and would like to know where to do an afternoon dive.

Hopefully someone will know something good.

Please let me know if you know of shore dives in the area. The boat from Biscayne does not return until 1:00. They do not do afternoon boat dives. It is too late to make it to another location.

Thanks!

I have only seen this as i have driven past and from sailing around Florida Bay (the north side of Key Largo), but it doesnt seem that there are many options. US-1 as you come down towards the keys seems to have swampy or shallow sandy bays on both sides, but no real stopping areas. Havent seen anything in the books about any diving in that area. Even though there are dive stores in Homestead/Florida City, they are there to catch people on their way in and entice them to buy stuff, not there due to diving spots nearby (until you get to the Keys proper). I would kayak those areas, but wouldnt even bother to put on mask and snorkel it no matter dive it.

Why the interest in this area except it being on your way home?? I would prefer to jump in the car and head up the coast and do a shore dive elsewhere if the reasoning behind it is due to it being on your way home. Its only 1.5-2 hours to Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood areas, you could get a couple of shore dives in there and still be home not long after dusk.

I have always been told that there isnt really any shore diving in the Keys except at Bahia Honda (the man-made beach) due to the swampy conditions all around the keys themselves - wouldnt see it being much different up towards Florida City as that is right by the Everglades. Sorry cant be more encouraging or helpful, but i think you are looking in the wrong area to dive. :wink:

simbrooks:
I have only seen this as i have driven past and from sailing around Florida Bay (the north side of Key Largo), but it doesnt seem that there are many options. US-1 as you come down towards the keys seems to have swampy or shallow sandy bays on both sides, but no real stopping areas. Havent seen anything in the books about any diving in that area. Even though there are dive stores in Homestead/Florida City, they are there to catch people on their way in and entice them to buy stuff, not there due to diving spots nearby (until you get to the Keys proper). I would kayak those areas, but wouldnt even bother to put on mask and snorkel it no matter dive it.

Why the interest in this area except it being on your way home?? I would prefer to jump in the car and head up the coast and do a shore dive elsewhere if the reasoning behind it is due to it being on your way home. Its only 1.5-2 hours to Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood areas, you could get a couple of shore dives in there and still be home not long after dusk.

I have always been told that there isnt really any shore diving in the Keys except at Bahia Honda (the man-made beach) due to the swampy conditions all around the keys themselves - wouldnt see it being much different up towards Florida City as that is right by the Everglades. Sorry cant be more encouraging or helpful, but i think you are looking in the wrong area to dive. :wink:

The reason to want to do a shore dive in the area is lack of an afternoon dive spot. Te boat (only one) out of the National Park does not go out in the afternoon. Does anyone know anywhere to shore dive in the area? Gosh this is so sad :(.

Hate to disappoint but I think what the posts are trying to tell you is that there is no shore diving in that area. Sorry but it is shallow, murky and generally lousy conditions for shore diving from south of Miami to the Keys.

ReneeC:
Hate to disappoint but I think what the posts are trying to tell you is that there is no shore diving in that area. Sorry but it is shallow, murky and generally lousy conditions for shore diving from south of Miami to the Keys.

Ok then where is the closest place to dive near Homestead.

Gosh ReneeC you have been so helpful!

Key Largo-20 mi
Miami- 20 mi
Elliot Key-Biscayne Park (boat)
It sucks for shore dives, there are none.

Are you going back to Lakeland after the dive or staying around Homestead for a weekend or something??

If on your way home, which coast do you favour, east or west, 75 or 95 and then inland?? Depending on your route home, there are the usual spots on the SE and SW coasts that have shore diving. What about a night dive out of Key Largo, just hang out for the afternoon?? Sometimes schedules are like that and you cant get in two sets of boat dives in a day - i know it has been tight when i have done such things with only a short lunch/tank swap time before going out again.

Sorry if these werent the answers you were looking for, but it doesnt seem a great place to dive. If you dont mind murky, shallow waters maybe you can still do it off the side of the road somewhere, report back if you do as i dont think many people would bother to find out. You can also try your hand at sailing, jetskiing, parasailing and such things off Key Largo if you do want to fill your afternoon with something fun and wet even if not diving.

tha above threads are correct; no shore diving south of fll. however there are a few spots to shore dive in the keys, notably, the old bahia honda bridge(slack tide only lots of big fish and bull sharks) and a patch reef(easily located on a marine chart) 100 meters off of big coppitt key 10 miles north of key west.

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom