Water temp in Vanuatu this time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all

Boyfriend and I heading off to Vanuatu for a diving break in two weeks, spending time around Port Vila and then up to Santo for the Coolidge. Can't wait!

My question is - what sort of exposure protection do we need?

I've tried to get some answers from the dive companies in Vanuatu but no joy yet. One of them told me it would be 25-26 degrees in the water.

Having learned and dived in Melbourne (Aust) in 20 degrees celsius and less, we are used to diving in 5 or 7mm semi-dry suits, this winter/spring I've been adding a vest, lycra, socks and thermals!

What will we need for Vanuatu? 3mm? Less? More? I've got a 2mm shortie/springer wetsuit (short arms and legs) - would I be cold in this?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give!

aussiescubagal :crafty:

I did a dive in Vanuatu not long after being certified and I think the hire suits were 5mm. In July I was in the Solomons and water temp was 29C and I just wore a P2 suit. By the end of the week I was starting to notice the cold when I first got in the water, but that disappeared quickly. I think with the change of going from 13C water to 25 - 26C water a 3mm would be ok.

Ok, totally off topic, but isn't that where they filmed the newest "Survivor"?

Survivor was filmed on Tanna which is one of the southern islands. The hint is the team name for the women - Yasur. That is the same name as the volcanic mountain located on Tanna. Port Vila is in the middle of the chain, and Espiritu Santo, where the Coolidge is located, is in the upper portion. We've usually dove the Coolidge in March wearing just skins, so I'd think that 3mm is fine.

I'm headed to Palau, Majuro, and then Bikini Atoll in just a few days. Enjoy the Coolidge, and I hope you're diving with Allan Power. They're the best!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom