Another Sport Chalet issue..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So get this. Exact Sport Chalet location will remain unnamed.
I was waiting for my 2 tanks to be filled, (super slow :) 30 minute fill) and one of the employees walks over to the scuba section and pulls out a 19cf pony to get it filled. The pony was attached to a plastic backplate, with a goofy little first stage and a tiny blue plastic second.
The scuba employee says SWEET, give me 10 mins and Ill have it filled for ya.
I start asking this kid what he uses it for, and he says he just started spear fishing with it this morning, and he was able to go down to 35 feet and shoot a fish and look around for 10 minutes by holding onto the reef or a rock until he had no more air . Then he just pushed off the bottom and surfaced.
This kid is 17, has no idea what he is doing, has no idea what a regulator is, didn't know that SCUBA certification was required.
After his tank was ready I pretended to be really interested in his gear. The tank VIP sticker read 1995!!!!! I had to point out to the older wiser scuba employee that just returned from a break. Talk about a heated discussion between two emplyees and the manager!!

Anywhoo, I just wanted to let you all know, and if your a SC employee you might know who I'm talking about.

Kyle

whalerkyle:
So get this. Exact Sport Chalet location will remain unnamed.
I was waiting for my 2 tanks to be filled, (super slow :) 30 minute fill) and one of the employees walks over to the scuba section and pulls out a 19cf pony to get it filled. The pony was attached to a plastic backplate, with a goofy little first stage and a tiny blue plastic second.
The scuba employee says SWEET, give me 10 mins and Ill have it filled for ya.
I start asking this kid what he uses it for, and he says he just started spear fishing with it this morning, and he was able to go down to 35 feet and shoot a fish and look around for 10 minutes by holding onto the reef or a rock until he had no more air . Then he just pushed off the bottom and surfaced.
This kid is 17, has no idea what he is doing, has no idea what a regulator is, didn't know that SCUBA certification was required.
After his tank was ready I pretended to be really interested in his gear. The tank VIP sticker read 1995!!!!! I had to point out to the older wiser scuba employee that just returned from a break. Talk about a heated discussion between two emplyees and the manager!!

Anywhoo, I just wanted to let you all know, and if your a SC employee you might know who I'm talking about.

Kyle

wow...Will wonders ever cease...

As an aside, I'm unaware of a requirement (except that which is self-imposed by the stores) for a dive certification.

The older/wiser employee didn't check the tank before filling? It might also have been out of its 5y hydro requirement, right?

pathetic...

I got a fill from SC in Torrance the other day. This is the 1st time I have gone there for fills in the last 6 months. They scrutinzed my c-card and the VIP sticker on my tank. I actually got a very good fill, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom