Nikonos strobe with my 5060???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, I'm finally giving up the film. My two nikonos are in storage and I have a 5060 with Pt20. My question; is there any way to use/convert my Nikonos SB 105 strobe to use with my housing? I love the strobe, but can't figure how I can make it work. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Allison,

Not familiar with your housing. However, the 105s do have a slave function. I am assuming that your housing does not have a direct strobe connector?
If so then there should be some sort of cable that can be purchased that would connect the internal flash of the camera to the Nikonos strobe.

Try Fred Dion at Underwater Photo-tech or Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros. They both have lots of little gadgets for this kinda stuff.

www.uwphoto.com
www.underwatercamerapros.com

Good luck :wink:

Hi Allison,

I don't have an answer to your question but I thought you might like to know about an UW digital camera users group that is trying to start in Raleigh. We had out first meeting the other week and had about 6 people show up. At present, Dave over at Gypsy Divers is trying to kick it off but it's susposed to be non-shop affiliated group. If you are intersted, drop Dave an email or I can drop you a PM the next time I hear about a meeting.

Allison Finch:
Ok, I'm finally giving up the film. My two nikonos are in storage and I have a 5060 with Pt20. My question; is there any way to use/convert my Nikonos SB 105 strobe to use with my housing? I love the strobe, but can't figure how I can make it work. Any help will be appreciated.
Allison, get in touch with Michael Finger (Germany) at http://www.mike-dive.de. He should be able to help you out.

Not hard wired but you should be able to use it in slave mode in conjunction with the internal flash.

other option is get an Ike housing with a sync connector! That WILL work!

better optics as well, Nikonos users will not be happy with the wide angle image quality of the olympus housing systems

Chris Bangs:
Not hard wired but you should be able to use it in slave mode in conjunction with the internal flash.

other option is get an Ike housing with a sync connector! That WILL work!

better optics as well, Nikonos users will not be happy with the wide angle image quality of the olympus housing systems
From the little German I can understand Michael makes an Olympus-to-Nikonos cable so you should be able to hard wire it.
For wide-angle the Athena dome is recommended with the PT-020 over Olympus' PPO-02 wide port solution.

ReyeR:
From the little German I can understand Michael makes an Olympus-to-Nikonos cable so you should be able to hard wire it.
For wide-angle the Athena dome is recommended with the PT-020 over Olympus' PPO-02 wide port solution.

I am not familiar with the Athena dome! please fill me in

Chris

Also interested in the oly to Nik sync cable as I have many old strobes which I may be selling off soon

chris

Chris Bangs:
I am not familiar with the Athena dome! please fill me in
The Athena dome is a GLASS (no acrylic stuff here) dome wide port that Yuzo (from uwdigitalcamera.com) initiated as an alternative to the (disastarous) flat wide port attempt by Olympus for the C5060/PT-020. It is made by Athena and is basically a modified dome that Athena produced for the Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera. See this page (scroll down to ATHENA OPTi Dome WZ C5060): Athena Dome

Chris Bangs:
Also interested in the oly to Nik sync cable as I have many old strobes which I may be selling off soon
Another enterprising person, this time from Germany, has emerged from the (many) chaos that Olympus created by adding their own proprietary strobe bulkhead to their PT housings. His name is Michael Finger (mike-dive.de). He basically takes the TTL adaptors produced by Matthias (another German, muenster.de) and sells them as kits (see C5060 rigs). From what I can understand he makes Oly-to-SeaandSea and Oly-to-Nikonos cables to make the whole thing work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom