Divers Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
To All Southern California Divers:

Lobster season is almost upon us again, and this year the laws are just the same. And every year, Fish and Game Wardens must diligently watch for those few commercial fishermen who decide to illegally bait their lobster traps early. The fishermen use metallic timing devices called pop-ups to hide their traps and corresponding buoys beneath the surface of the water. Once baited, the pop-ups keep the buoy of the trap submerged until after the commercial season opens. For people on the surface, the trap is virtually undetectable. Commercial fishermen who use pop-ups like to set these traps in the fog, which usually occurs every late September/ early October. We have already had a few days of fog so far.

Local Game Wardens are asking for the help of divers once again. If you see a lobster trap underwater which is baited and full of lobsters, let us know! Do not touch the trap, destroy it, or mess with the buoy. Get a location (GPS coordinates work best) a depth, the time and date, a description of the bottom (ie next to rocks, kelp, in the sand, etc) and any readable numbers off a buoy. Feel free to call me at 858-549-3472 for any information you may have.

Dates to keep in mind: September 30th- commercial fisherman are allowed to put their traps in the water, but NO BAIT is allowed. Saturday October 2nd at 12:01am- Sport Lobster opener. Tuesday October 5th- commercial fishermen may bait their traps, but not take lobsters. Wednesday October 6th- commercial lobster opener.

For those of you that will be looking- Thanks! Please feel free to pass this information to other divers.

Warden Eric Kord
Department of Fish and Game, Patrol Boat Thresher

I will keep my eyes on the lookout for this activity. Thanks for posting on scubaboard.com. It's good to know we have some DFG guys on here!

You might want to post this info on the divebums.com listserver as well since
it goes out to 600 people. I could do it for you if you like. Let me know!

Thanks for explaining how this works.

Now we can keep an eye out for this type of "cheating".

Christian

Back
Top Bottom