wrist compass or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tscimemi

Reaction score
Guys,

I am new to diving and I wanted to get the cons and pros of having a wrist compass or a console compass, any opinions

wecome to diving, i am still new myself and i use a console but my girl friend (also new both with 23 dives) just got a wrist compass and loves it and feels that it is much easier to use if that is any help, she claims she will not use console for navigation again. good luck and dive safe!!

When I started diving, I used a console mounted compass. Actually, in those days, it was a boot mounted on the hp hose.
After several years, I tried a friend's wrist mounted compass, liked it, bought one and have never gone back. The wrist mounted compass is less cumbersome.
I refer to my compass far more often than I check my gauges, and it is much more convenient to have it on my wrist. I have been through at least a half dozen wrist compasses over the years, and have never found one that I truly like--the needles in the thin ones hang up easily when tilted, and the thick ones are, well, thick. But I like even the worst better than any console mounted compass that I have tried.

Welcome to the board. :) I use a wrist mounted compass. What you have to take extreme care is that whenever you refer to the compass, your arm is in the exact same position - always!!! I make my forearm run parallel with my chest - a 90 degree angle at the elbow is more easily formed than a 45 or a 60 or a 30. If I am not using lights with my right hand, I will grasp my left hand with my right hand thus making it a conscious effort to keep my arm in the correct position. Don't rely on rough estimates if you don't keep the same arm position as rough estimates get you lost :wink:

There's a good on-going thread, I think its called console or wrist mount if you're interested.

Welcome to the board, it's an interesting way to wile away some time

http://www.scubaboard.com/t72943-.html

tscimemi:
Guys,

I am new to diving and I wanted to get the cons and pros of having a wrist compass or a console compass, any opinions

Shortly after my wife and I first certified, we coincidentally bought each other wrist compasses for Christmas. Well, I guess it wasn't total coincidence since compasses are cheap compared with most scuba gear. :wink:

A year or so later, we bought equipment that included console mounted compasses. I have not used the wrist compass since. For me pointing my console where I want to go and following it is an easier way to navigate than doing the figure 4 arm thing, but then I'm one of those constant gage checking types, so I'm always looking at the console anyway.

Bill.

I like to have the compass on my left wrist and I leave it on my drysuit between dives... the problem is I sometimes forget to move it to the drysuit I happen to be using... when that happens (a lot) I just take a look at my buddy's wrist (which doesn't happen a lot.)

I think the wrist is good place for the compass. Lot less chance of it getting banged into something like there is on a console. Personally, I only use a pressure guage, all other instrumentation is on my wrist.

Always another view... I carry mine on a retractor on my right shoulder. I pull it down when I want to use it, let it retract when I don't.

I started with a wrist compass some 25 + years ago, switched to a console modle several years ago and find the retractor model allows me to position it better for viewing.

The catch with using it in this configuration, is making sure to keep it perpindicular to your body. Its easier to do with a console or wrist mount, but, if you are comfortable and profiecient with navigation, its not as much of an issue.

Just my 2psi.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom