Day 1, without cigarettes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscheck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well,

I made the decision yesterday after 24 years with a 1 pack-a-day habit, that today would be my first day without cigarettes, so far it hasn't been too bad, but I do feel some urges to smoke.

I do have the Commit lozenges and they do seem to help keep the edge off, but they do not dissolve in 20 to 30 minutes (as indicated in directions) for me, or at least it feels a lot longer.

But damn, $43.00 for 72 lozenges and they want you to use at least 9 lozenges every day for the first 6 weeks!!! I think it costs more to use this product than it is to smoke.

Anyone have any experience with these? Is it necessary to use that many, or just pop one in when the urge is strong?

Any other hints, tricks or links to good info/support would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I hope nobody minds me rambling on this thread for awhile, I believe that using the forum as a kind of journal will help me attain my goal.

Thanks

Well, that is nine more than I used!!! I tried many times to give up but failed each time. Gradually, over the years, I slowly stopped smoking in the mornings and it wasn't until after lunch that I had my first drag. :wink: I made up for not smoking in the mornings then though so my consumption didn't go down. One day, without planning to, I didn't smoke in the afternoon or the evening. Shrugged it off as a weird day. Next day, same thing. My body was not craving a cigarette. Third day, same thing. I knew from history that I was approaching the time when my attempts to give up normally failed. So, I pretended to myself that I wasn't giving just wasn't smoking for a while. Well, four days turned into 2 weeks and at that point, I announced to everyone that I was giving up for good! And guess what happened - I did!! That was seven and a half years ago and I have never craved for a cigarette. I think my body just had had enough. I believe when you are ready to give up, it is easy. It took seven years for my lungs to totally clear - I was on 20 a day for 22 years!!! Good luck.

You are on the verge of giving yourself a great gift....better health! Feel free to ramble when you need to.
Ann Marie

dscheck:
But damn, $43.00 for 72 lozenges and they want you to use at least 9 lozenges every day for the first 6 weeks!!! I think it costs more to use this product than it is to smoke.

43.00 /9= 4.78

Now, not being a smoker, does a pack of cigarettes cost more than $4.78 where you live? :wink: And just think, pretty soon you'll be able to use the 43 dollars you save every week (well, every eight days) for diving. :D

Got another bonus to tell you about, but I'll PM that one to you directly. It's not PG-13. :eyebrow:

great decision. it's excellent. i quit around 2 months ago and i feel good.
it's not easy. i used the chewing but very rarely. just when i had cravings like after meals, while drinking a beer, etc. thens when it came in handy. otherwise you just gotta want it!

I quit and started after a week
I quit and started again after a month
I quit and started again after a year
I quit and started again after 1 1/2 years
Its been about 12 years now, and if I have a few too many beers, I'll still want a smoke.

Keep Quitting!! However many times it takes.

My brother died of lung cancer last year, he never quit, he was 51.

Toothpicks were a help to me.

When I quit I used the Nicoderm CQ patch. I thought it was expensive at $50 for 2 weeks! Whatever you use, it's more expensive than the smoke to start but just think if the savings over the years. The first year I quit, I put the same money in a jar every day. I paid for a 1 week trip to Coz for Beast and I out of that jar!

Keep it up...you'll be so glad you did!

Quitting is not the problem. I quit over 25 times. Its staying quit that is the problem. Last time I started quiting, I used the gum. Spent over 120 a week on the gum. No BS! I work in an area where tobaco of any type is prohibited, so the gum was great. When I started quiting last time, (it will be 3 years on October 27th @ 5:45pm, but who's counting?) I decieded to do it for my health, each time I get the urge and I still do, I think about my kids and I want to be arround when the grow up.

Just for the record, I didn't smoke (much). I smoked a cigar or a pipe once in a while. But I chewed leaf and twist tobacco from the time I was 13 years old until I was 41, from when I got up in the morning till I went to bed at night, so I know what an addiciton is.

Just keep up the spirit and if you want it bad enough you can do it. Take it one day at a time and Good Luck!!!!!!

Go DsCheck!

I'm close to 4-5 years away from the things. I used the patch and worried about the $$ issue as well. It was worth every penny I spent. So keep up the good work!

Charley

I smoked for 13 years. Started very young and the last couple of years I was around 2 packs a day. I too tried many times to quit. One day I got pissed off at myself and I guess, got tired of smoking. 6 years ago I watched a very good friend slowly die of lung cancer over a 1 year period. This you would think would be enough for me to quit but it wasn't. It is the absolutely hardest thing I have ever done. 4-1/2 years later I still get the urge if I'm outside and smell someone smoking. It's not the same powerful urges that you are going through right now but they are powerful enough that I have to give myself a reality check and keep walking. I feel 100% better. My wife doesn't tell me I stink anymore. I can do activities without breathing hard anymore. (some because I don't stink anymore :eyebrow: ) And I've turned all my newly founded energy towards this sport I love.

Take it one day at a time. If you feel you need a smoke find something you can do that will substitute that urge. If you are really hungry and then all of a sudden you get involved with an activity you forget that you were hungry. The same goes for smoking. Once you have convinced your mind you have quit than the rest becomes easier.
Jason

Back
Top Bottom