Is DM-ing incompatible with DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We all know that the first rule of DIR is "don't dive with unsafe divers". We also know that we don't dive solo.

So...

Given that DM's (or anyone in charge of supervising inexperienced divers) can't get around this...... Is DM-ing incompatible with DIR?

R..

Diver0001:
We all know that the first rule of DIR is "don't dive with unsafe divers". We also know that we don't dive solo.

So...

Given that DM's (or anyone in charge of supervising inexperienced divers) can't get around this...... Is DM-ing incompatible with DIR?

R..

Does it matter?

MechDiver:
Does it matter?
Good point! Why does everything you do always have to be DIR! Does this mean that you don't chew gum while walking because you could accidentally choke? Heck I had a smoke and was chewing gum at the same time the other day (mind you, tasted like crap).....and I am still alive!

ps. this was not meant as an anti-DIR comment, so halt the flaming!

boomx5:
Seems like he's trying to set up a strawman to me.

No, Scott, no strawman. Don't you think it's an interesting question? I sure do and I can't be the only one.

R..

Diver0001:

So...

R..
You ansered your own question. Although supervising inexperienced divers in a class sitituation with the proper ratio is acceptible.

George once said [ Im putting this in my own words] that you have to ask your self is this really worth it, and you should never make a comprimise in your belifes twords safty.

I'd say it depends on the students in the class, how good their training is/was, if their instructor is DIR, who your buddy is, stuff like that.

It's all about the environment, and I think it can be done.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom