More So Cal Lobster questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saf_25

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, with bug season starting tomorrow night, I went out and purchased my fishing license. Didn't want the opportunity to grab the world's largest lobster and not be able to take it because I don't have a license (yeah, that's why I wouldn't catch it...).

Anyway, this is my first year hunting, and I still have a few questions:
1. The woman at the Big 5 where I bought the license said that it must be on your person at all times - so actually attached to me while in the water. Is this true? If so, how do divers who dive wet do that? I thought that it could stay either in the car or on the boat, but she said no. Any suggestions?
2. I've been trying to find a list of beaches (preferrably in OC) where it's legal to take game in general, lobster specifically. I don't want to make plans to meet friends at the beach with the intention of taking game, only to get there to find that it's a reserve and we have to move. Is there a listing somewhere of places where hunting is allowed? NOt that i'm asking where your personal secret spot is, although that would be appreciated as well - just want to know where we're allowed to go.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!
STacy

HI Stacy I havn't done beach dives in years but you are allowed to have your license on shore and within a reasonable distance from your dive entry area but I don't remember how many yards.

If you are boat diving than your licence can stay on the boat.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on the beach dives but as for catching lobsters if you happen to see one. The best advise is to don't think just react as quick as possible to grab the lobster on the back of the head. If your reactions are a bit slow than aim for the tail and grab as hard as you can so the lobster can't get away.

Good luck!

I just posted in the Sep. dive reports: There are no more lobster in Laguna Beach, they have all left, so you need to find some place else to hunt for them! Conditions are horrible for night diving, stay at home or go somewhere like Lake Perris for you night diving! STAY AWAY FROM LAGUNA BEACH! :shiner:

IF youre in good shape and dont mind stairs....go to reef point , between Laguna and Corona del mar. Go straight out from the drain pipe about 300 feet....go left. When you go down, there are reefs at about 25 40 feet and I see bugs there every day. If you have acces to a boat....go anywhere west of two harbors, I've never been skunked.

miket:
Sure, OK

... Nice try Robert.

Laguna beaches are going to be packed, I think I am going to try parts of Malibu.

- MikeT
No, really! I think everyone should join Mike in Malibu, or go to Reef Point. I hear they are going to leave the parking lot open after sunset :wink:

You don't have to have your license on your person while taking lobster ... there's some maximum distance allowed but, according to Spencer Gilbert of fish & game (he spoke at our last dive club meeting), it's ok to keep it in your car (beach diving) or on the boat.

You need an "ocean" stamp on the back of the license ... it cost a couple bucks add'l, I think. My license and stamp cost $38.50 @ Wal Mart.

PS -- the license is only good through the end of the year; you'll have to get another one in January to continue bug hunting.

I am going to work the coast, starting in Ventura, and going south. I've got 5 tanks, and am doing 5 dives. Sorry, the exact spots are secret. :wink:

(Not only do I intend to limit, I want to get 3 monsters, and win all three of the Sport Chalet prizes! Oh, and say whatever you want about them, they are giving free airfills today.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom