Reel on your speargun? need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sessions

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay...I just graduated to a bigger/longer 3 band gun. Most of the hunting I do is in 40-65 feet of water. I hate re wrapping the shock cord and I already wasted $20.00 for this coil that was supposed to uncoil up to 18feet?....the spear died at 8feet and came back. Has anyone had any luck with a reel on their gun?...does it dramitically cut power?.....where do I find them?

Check out the Spearfishing Specialties speed-load system - made of heavy-duty mono, you can do a double-wrap on your line in about 5 seconds...

Most people that use reels do blue-water (i.e. bottomless) hunting or freedive and pull in the fish at the surface from the line. Watched a freediving video once (pulling in big fish, like marlin) and it almost looked like the marlin was "people-trolling" as the person was getting consistently dragged while "landing" the fish - the boat followed the whole time. Pretty different from scuba, huh?

Coils ARE a problem - they tangle in EVERYTHING and are a PITA, as well as having that re-coil effect which shortens your range.

The kelp density is the problem with free shaft....plus, I will end up missing a shot when I'm floating at 50ft.....when it's 200 to the bottom!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom