Business trip to Florida Oct 11-15 must dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfuqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Sanford, FL October 11-15 on business and would love to come a few days early and catch some dive. Do any of my dive brothers and sisters from Florida have recomendations for sites and operators.

bfuqua:
I will be in Sanford, FL October 11-15 on business and would love to come a few days early and catch some dive. Do any of my dive brothers and sisters from Florida have recomendations for sites and operators.

Well, it all depends upon what kind of diving you would like to do (Salt or Fresh) and how far you are willing to drive. There are springs within 30 minutes (Blue Springs) to 1 1/2 hrs from Sanford (Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Paradise) and the closest ocean dives would be from New Smyrna, the Seadog charters is recommended. There are a few of us that live in the Orlando suburbs, not far from Sanford, so let us know if you need any tourguides or more info!

Becky has covered most of it. Those around this town can give you an idea of what to expect at any sites that you care to think about. Probably free that weekend as Becky and i arent diving SC that weekend as had been an old plan - at least it was last time i heard :wink:

Although there are other springs within a reasonable driving distance of Sanford, only the ones listed above are likely to be open/diveable due to river flooding. You can always drive down the coast to the SE if that is something you would like to do (nice reefs and some closer wrecks than New Smyrna Beach (40 min trip out from dock), but i still like that area too!!

Keep an eye on the tropics, you never know what might come along that weekend - although we hope things dont visit us again! :wink:

I'll be down in the Orlando area during the middle to end of October and was wondering if any of my comrades down south had any advice for where to do some diving. Don't really care whether it's fresh or salt. I'm more interested in how far I'd have to drive.

I'll check out some other links for FL dive locations but in the meantime I thought I'd check things out here on the conch board.

-John

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'll be coming down alone so if there is anyone who wants a partner for a weekend dive during that time, let me know.

JGB:
I'll be down in the Orlando area during the middle to end of October and was wondering if any of my comrades down south had any advice for where to do some diving. Don't really care whether it's fresh or salt. I'm more interested in how far I'd have to drive.

I'll check out some other links for FL dive locations but in the meantime I thought I'd check things out here on the conch board.

-John

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'll be coming down alone so if there is anyone who wants a partner for a weekend dive during that time, let me know.

John-

As mentioned above, there are a few options that require 40-80 minutes for driving. Closest option to Orlando (aside from the Epcot Dive Quest which is cool to do once if you have the money) is Blue Springs. It is a nice little dive and cheap being a state park. Other fresh options are same as above in the Ocala area. And then of course you can drive to New Smyrna for salt or further down (about 2 1/4 hrs) for Jupiter.

If you're coming down Halloween weekend, unfortunately many of us from this area will be up camping at Ginnie Springs (or chaufering our mums and grandma's around!:wink:) If you come the weekend before, three of us will be in Tampa for a dive on Saturday the 23rd, but might be available on Sunday, 24th. (oh, yeah...if you are in O-town for the 24th, feel free to drop by my halloween party!)

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Well thanks Rebecca.

I just found out that my trip is being rescheduled for early November. But if anyone is planning any dives during that time I can adjust which weekend I stay over so let me know and we'll make some plans to get together.

I was checking out the Blue Springs site and it looks interesting, not to mention very close to where I normally stay in Orlando.

Take care,

John

Blue Grotto and Devils Den are across the street from one another (essentially) a bit north of Ocala, which is about 1.5 hours from downtown Orlando up the turnpike. Blue Spring is about 40 mins north of downtown. Paradise Springs is a little closer than BG/DD at just over an hour in the same direction towards Ocala. The big difference is the cost, if you go to the 3 around Ocala they charge $30 per day each site, whereas the state park is $10 to dive - however if i lend my annual pass to Becky (or come myself) it is free :wink: I know that i am busy the first halloween weekend (ferrying my mum et al) and same with the first weekend in november. The middle weekend (11/19) Becky and i are aiming at going to OH to dive. I also dont mind hitting Seadog again out of New Smyrna Beach on that spare weekend either :wink: Could make another nice trip out of it with other SB members from around that coast?

John-

No problem! Let me know what dates you'll be in town and we'll get a big group together to welcome you down. The only thing going on in November is the weekend of the 12th, Norah Jones concert in Tampa on the 11th and Reef ID course on the 12th and 13th on the southeast coast. Should be in town for the weekend of the 6th and 7th, though. Keep me posted.

Have a great evening,
Rebecca

Per the above I dive Blue Spring and others almost every weekend. Add me to your list of contacts. I live next to Sanford in Lake Mary/Longwood. The State parks are the cheapest dive and very nice.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom