Mt. Everest of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
The Andrea Doria has always been considered the Mt. Everest of Diving, but I was reading in one of the treads the other day that it may no longer be the best of the best. So I was wondering what the new Mt. Everest of diving is. Is it still the Doria, or is it the Britanica, or somewhere else. The Doria was supposed to be the best because of the depth, the distance from shore, and the training and skills it took to dive her. Is that the best criteria?

For me personally, I would love to dive here, but being a newbie and 40 years old, she may be out of my reach… but she will still be my dream.

Ty

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Ty...
That would have to be the Marianas Trench @ 36,198 fsw
I am open this week end...
:wink:

Damn............that is going to be some serious hang time!

jbm

Thats one expensive dive.

that trench dive you want to do is going to cost you some serious big bucks PUG.

A friend of mine just spent 2 months over the Titanic filming footage for some new documentaries. He informed me they used 2 of the 4 submersibles capable of going that deep. Each dive cost per sub was 32K USD. Both subs were used for every dive. Just remenber this doesnt account for the Ship, fuel, personnel, or food for a 2-3month period. He was support personnel, not a sub pilot just to clear it up.

Andy

I just ran the numbers through V-planner :D
Depth - 36,198 ft.
Bottom time - 0:46
Bottom gas - .1/99.7 Tx
Deco gasses:
- .5/98.5 Tx
- 1/98 Tx
- 4/90 Tx
- 10/70 Tx
- EAN50
- O2

13,654,013 cu ft of He in all mixes... :eek:
bottom time of 46 seconds earns a deco obligation of just under 758 hours (that's very roughly 31.5 days). :wink:
(no conservitism, 1 second min. deco stops...)

PS. Mt Everest is only 29,035ft high.

what is the END of .1/99.7 tx at 36k feet? I want to avoid
narcosis, if possible.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
what is the END of .1/99.7 tx at 36k feet? I want to avoid
narcosis, if possible.

.1/99.7 Tx @ 36,198 fsw
ppO2 = 1.1atm
END = 59 fsw

I put the numbers through as to always keep a END <100fsw, and ppO2 < 1.4 (the lowest ppO2 was .28)

This is, of course, completely hypothetical beyond belief... :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom