Laugh Lines and Pudgy face, My Mythos Leaks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sierra248

Registered
Reaction score
I purchased an Aquavision Mythos from the internet and as soon as I put it on I knew it was going to leak, and it does. It leaks on the sides of my nose when i smile and when I don't have a snorkel in my mouth. Even with it on Super Tight all I have to do is sucks air in thru my nose and I can hear the air leaking in. I have a large face and very noticable laugh lines(Thats where it leaks even when not laughinging) am going to Send it back as I talked to the store and they will let me replace it with a different mask. These are the masks that are the same or more money that they carry that I can exchange with. I dive/snorkel mostly in clear water springs and occasionally up to 60 feet ocean (I live on West Coast of FLA, not very deep inshore or 40 miles out...lol)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated from those that use these masks or know which would fit better for my large noggin and big laugh lines.

TUSA:
Tusa Viewtrek Mask (M-23)
Tusa Visulator Mask (M-14)

Basically any of the Seavison Masks:
SeaVision 2000 Mask
SeaVision Ultra Mask (I've read that this fits large faces well)
SeaVision Sea Shadow mask
SeaVision TransVision Mask

Oceanic Lite Vision Two Window Mask
Apollo Bio-Metal Mask

Thanks for all the great info that I've read hear, love my fins and snorkel that you all helped me pick and am in a real quandry about getting a mask that fits. I know I should have bought at a dive shop but its to late now, I am lucky there returning the mask anyway, so i have to do this quickly, so any thoughts at all will be greatly appreciated.

i would go to a local shop that carries these masks and try them on . you would hate to have to send another mask back.

derrick

For the love of God don't get the Oceanic Light Vision. So lame. Look into the Cressi Big Eyes, Cressi Matrix, Cressi Horizon, Mares X Vision those are in the same sort of catagory as the Mythos. Buy it from a shop where you can try it on, I know it will cost more but the hassle is just too much.

Look for a low volume mask with a big field of vision. Avoid the big multi window masks it's just more junk! Another good mask is the Oceanic Frameless. The Apollo is crazy over priced. The Visulator is massive, heavy and not low volume.

I would also recomend a black skirt becuase it blocks out side light, doesn't turn ugly yellow and looks cool.

If they mad the Cressi Matrix in all black I'd buy two!

Hope that helps.

Nobody really answered me, If you had to choose, based on my suggestions, what would you choose?

sierra248:
Nobody really answered me, If you had to choose, based on my suggestions, what would you choose?

Sorry about that but the choices aren't that great. If I had to I'd get the Apollo or a basic low volume Sea Vision. I guess. If that's all there was to choose from. :)

off the choices i would go with the oceanic mask
i have one of there frameless and love it

Sierra,

I dive with the SeaVision Ultra with the black skirt. For some reason, they fit better than the ones with the clear skirts.

I would suggest before you go spending $$ on any mask, you try it on first. The trick here though is doing it correctly.

I chose my original mask based on the direction my original LDS gave me for testing fit. The method he had me use was to place the mask without the strap against my face and then inhale through my nose. While this did hold the mask in place, it created a false vacuum.

Since then I have learned a better technique and has worked well for me. Hold your breath and place the mask on your faces without the strap. Gently press the mask. Do not press hard. If you have no problem with exhaling through your mouth only, then you should be able to breath and the mask will stay in place. Now that's a good fit.

Brian

This is going to sound really lame, but the only mask that I found to fit my face (probably larger/chubbier than average) other than the Mythos is a BodyGlove one from Costco that came with a snorkel.

It's the same thing as the ScubaPro ClearVu2 with a purge valve, just relabeled as a Body Glove mask.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated from those that use these masks or know which would fit better for my large noggin and big laugh lines.

Before you spend more money, try keeping a small container of o-ring silicone grease nearby. Slather up the skirt contact points of the mask.

No one said this was a pretty sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom