October 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

If you dive, please post here.

Date: 01 -02 October
Dive Location: Latigo Canyon
Time: 11:57 PM
Bottom Time: 79:20
Max Depth: 29 FSW
Vis: Awesome! 20-30, visibility was defiantly not the issue. Lack of legal bugs was.
Wave height: 1-2 foot
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 66 Sunnto degrees
Tide information: High tide 12:17 AM 3.12 feet
Comments:5 intrepid divers met at Corral Union 76 and headed out precisely at 11:03 p.m. (meet was at 11:00) Parked on PCH across from the road junction of Latigo Road and PCH and walked in to access point next to first house. Swam out from the white pipe to avoid two large rocks in the surf line. Usual suspects including a swimming octopus of about 10-12 inches from top of head to tentacle end, horn sharks and guitar fish. Opening day of lobster season. Saw several lobsters, but none of legal size. Most so small measuring was not required. I caught 4, all too small, so I let them go. My third bug season, score: Lobsters laughing, me zero.

Interesting SUUNTO glitch. Dive started at 11:57 10/1/04 and was 79:20 minutes in length according to the dive computer. Print out of dive shows end time of 12:00 AM? I guess it just does not handle diving at midnight well.

We went to a reef south of Flat Rock and did pretty well. I got six, but released two that were barely legal. I don't want to take any chances. My girlfriend got a limit for the first time as well as the largest on the boat at 3.2 pounds. Marc and Tom got three and four respectively and were going in for a second dive when Tom accidently hit Marc's forehead with his tank. Since it required stitches, we called it a night.
Maximum depth was 28 feet with 20 feet+ vis at 65F. I forgot to mention that Susan also saw a six foot shark that she described as gray and shark-looking. For some strange reason, she stayed within fifteen feet of me after that.

Date: 10/1/04
Dive Location: La Jolla Cove - Alligator Head
Time: 7:20
Bottom Time: 48 min
Max Depth: 35 ft
Vis: 10-20 ft
Wave height: 0-1 ft
Temp at depth: 59
Surface Temp: 67
Tide information: pretty close to high
Comments: Met Sam, Jessica, Roy, John and Sean at the Cove at 6:30am. The plan was to go looking for lobster and bag a few. We got in off Alligator Head and headed south west towards Boomers. The lobster were very aware that it is now lobster season and as soon as they saw us they crawled back in there cracks. We tried to grab a few and missed and tried a few more and missed some more! So we left with none - but like Sam said, "There is no better way to start a Saturday than with a morning dive!"

Dive Location: La Jolla Cove - Alligator Head
Time: 8:45
Bottom Time: 47 min
Max Depth: 32 ft
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp: 66
Tide information: pretty close to high
Comments: Sam and I changed tanks quickly and hit the water again only 37 minutes after we surfaced from the first dive. We did the same dive looking for some lobster. We got 2, but both were too small to keep. After about 45 minutes we were both really tired and decided to head in. I was burnt out at the end of the dive! I realized the SI is not just for nitrogen to leave your system…it is to let you rest a little!

Date: 02 October 2004
Dive Location: Queens Gate Middle Breakwater Long Beach/Los Angeles Harbor, Outside
Time: 8:21 PM
Bottom Time: 46:50
Max Depth: 38 FSW
Vis: 20-30 Clear water
Wave height: 1 foot or less
Temp at depth: 64 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp: 64 Suunto Degrees
Tide information:
Comments: Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I was treated to a boat dive off of his boat along with 2 of my dive buddies. We dropped down along the outside wall of the breakwater just west of Queens Gate on the Middle breakwater. Target, Lobsters, what else? Saw lots of fish, large ones and an octopus or two. The breakwater consistently provides great diving and larger fish to see than most shore dives. Final score, Lobsters zero. They were there, our luck wasn’t. The visibility was terrific with clear water and a good 20 to 30 feet of visibility, limited more by our lights than the water.

Forgot to mention the US Coast Guard came over to us as we were getting out of our SCUBA gear. The head honcho, a cute (female) but young Costie was under the incorrect impression that Lobster season did not start until Midnight Saturday night (12:01 AM Sunday)! We corrected her mis-information and since we were lobster less, it was a mute point anyway.
As I dove at Midnight Friday night, this was my second dive of the day, both without the desired results of bugs in bag.

Date: 10/2/04
Dive Location: Deadman's Reef, Laguna Beach
Time: 7:42am
Bottom Time: 65 minutes
Max Depth: 63'
Vis: Awesome. 30'+ at the NW tip of Deadmans, 15-20' at SE end
Wave height: 1', occasional 2', long intervals,
Temp at depth: 61º
Surface Temp: 66º
Dive Buddy: Ron Hawkins

Comments:

What an excellent day for diving...Lake Laguna conditions. After a couple of failed first attempts to find Deadman's on our own, we nailed it the last time by lining up with the outer edge of Seal Rock and the shore where the cliff meets the end of the beach. Took a 210º heading and within about 2 minutes, we were at the NW tip of the reef. Followed that plan again today and landed in the same spot, which is nice because it gives you the choice of going along the front or back side of the reef. Viz was terrific. Lots of sea life today: kelp bass, treefish, cabezon, spanish shawl, small octo, couple of bugs, tons of scallops, school of senoritas, sargo, garibaldi, and I think ocean whitefish. Also found a fish I can't identify, not in my Coastal Fish ID book and unfortunately I don't have a camera (yet!) or a degree in marine biology. It was solid light purple, about 2-3" long, with a spiny dorsal fin, all alone and perfectly still on the reef face at about 50'. Any ideas?

Kevin Glenn

Dive Location: La Jolla Cove - Rock Pile
Time: 6:45
Bottom Time: 46 min
Max Depth: 52 ft
Temp at depth: 53
Surface Temp: 66
Tide information: mid to high
Comments: I showed up at the Cove at 6:15am and looked around for some divers - but there were none! I waited until 6:30 and a two-some showed up and I tagged along with them. I talked them into entering off Alligator Head and we kicked out a ways to the kelp and decended. I was trying out my new (used) 7mm wetsuit and I love how not cold I was! I did forget to add some weight, but I got down and I was OK at depth. We saw the usual - and possibly a school of Baracuda? Is that possible? They were off in the distance a bit and the flashlight would reach them...and as I tried to swim their way the whole school was moving on. A very playful seal joined us and was quite fun to watch. He was playing hide and seek it seemed - he would stick himself between a few rocks to hide and then wiggle out when I went over to see him. I saw 4 lobster traps and all 4 were empty (and there were no boats when we went in) so I was happy to see they weren't catching any bugs either! The highlight of the dive was finding 2 fishing poles in the reserve. I picked them up and the other divers were somewhat surprised I was planning on taking them in. When we surfaced I told the other divers I was going to exit out at Alligator Head where we entered (since I had the poles with me). They didn't want any part of it...so I went over, got out and had no problems. A fairly uneventful dive - but I was warm in my new suit so I was happy!

10-3
cress street
8:49am
41min bottom time
300 yard surface swim to get to the outer reef
Dove with Jetfixer
I didn't really navigate this one too well, we basicaly checked out the top of the reef and on our way back I should have gone 75 or 80 degrees until we passed a lot of sand then swim to 030 degrees to shore. We kind of hit the 2nd reef on our way back in.

2:44 min SI

Dove at Shaws cove for 58 minutes of bottom time and had great vis. and a good dive to boot all and all a good weekend.

Night Dive Report: Shaw's Cove, North Laguna

Dive #1

Surf: 0

Surge: 0

Waves: 0

Viz: 30' or better

Bottom time: 41' for 42"

Solo Dive. Absolutely amazing. I can't get over the Viz. Boy, has it really cleared up!!! Shaw's was abundant with marine life. I spotted more Moray eels, octopus, and all the other usual suspects than I have in a very long time. One eel that I spotted on this dive was HUGE. I was going for a bug, but that darn bug was too smart and too up residence with Moray. Ouch...wasn't going to go for that one! I cut my dive short, for I was to meet up with Anne Marie. Read on...

Dive #2

Conditions remained the same. Viz continued to be good as it got dark. Saw lots of bugs out and about, but darn it...I left my gloves at the car! I had a 4-5 pound bug within grasp too, but I think trying bare handed to catch him I was intimidated. Again, spotted several Moray eels, this time TWO huge monsters! One was munching on something. Again, I was going for a bug, and it also was taking up residence. Just as I went down to take a look, the eel snatched something and was munching. I didn't see the lobster anywhere. Do eels eat lobsters? Again, spotted some more Octos. Anne Marie has a good eye for them. Later, I spotted the largest Octo yet to be seen. The suction cups were the size of quarters.

Since it was so calm and clear, we dove the Arch. Once past the arch, we swam through the swim through to the left. So totally cool at night. Lots of marine life on the walls including green and white sea anemones and lots of sea hares. We headed east after taking the swim through then headed south around to the west side to where we were almost in South Cresent before returning back. Total bottom time: 47' for 61"

Rating: EXCELLENT!!! Get out there and DIVE!

Back
Top Bottom