Canopy tours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I have read about the canopy tours in Roatan and were wondering if anyone has done them?

Are they worth it? Do you have to give up a day of diving?

We are staying at AKR in October. Do you know if they will come pick you up, or how would you get there?

Thanks alot for any info on these tours!

We went on the canopy tour a month ago. The location is just a few minutes south of AKR, between West End and West Bay Beach. We had our own car and went after a morning of diving off West End and before an afternoon snorkel at West Bay Beach. The canopy tour consists of ~10 zipwires and only takes about an hour. It's fun, though, and we thought it was worth the $35. I don't think they'll pick you up, but I'm sure you can get a taxi there and back. Cheers!

I recently returned from a trip in the Gunacaste region of Costa Rica. We took a canopy tour there. It was interesting, but not that exciting. It was a good one time experience. I wouldn't pay to do it again and I don't think I would give up a day of diving for it.

Addict:
Piglet, is it pretty tame? Is it high or fast? Is it worth (or even possible) for me to video tape during the ride(s)?

Thanks again!

Do it on your pre-flight off-gassing day.

Not too bad, but with any physical activity, it depends on how well insured your delicate video camera is... and how quickly the Honduran kids at the end of the slide react when they see you come hurtling towards them!

Have fun, live life as an adventure. Wouldn't that be cool for your family to tell the story about how Uncle Addict croaked out in wild and wooly Honduras? Have :wink:

Hi - just returned from AKR a week ago (will post a report soon!). AKR schedules a canopy tour that leaves from Tabyana Beach during the "beach lunch". After our 2nd dive on Monday our dive boat brought us to Tabyana Beach where they had a buffet set up with burgers, potatos, etc. There were also great hammocks under the trees to swing under. They announced that anyone who had signed up for the canopy tour should report to a certain spot and they took them all from there to the canopy beginning and the participants were back about an hour later. We did not participate but everyone that came back from the tour raved about it. There were two people who wished they had done it so they asked the front desk if they could still do it - front desk said they had to have a minimum of 4 people signed up. A couple more people signed up so they ended up going later in the week around 12:30 ish so they did not have to miss a dive - just a rushed lunch. The cost was $35 per person - from the beach or from the resort. Hubby is not much into heights so we didn't do it - but everyone we spoke to said it was really fun.

Enjoy AKR - such a great vacation!!

dhappydiver:
Hi - just returned from AKR a week ago (will post a report soon!). AKR schedules a canopy tour that leaves from Tabyana Beach during the "beach lunch". After our 2nd dive on Monday our dive boat brought us to Tabyana Beach where they had a buffet set up with burgers, potatos, etc. There were also great hammocks under the trees to swing under. They announced that anyone who had signed up for the canopy tour should report to a certain spot and they took them all from there to the canopy beginning and the participants were back about an hour later. We did not participate but everyone that came back from the tour raved about it. There were two people who wished they had done it so they asked the front desk if they could still do it - front desk said they had to have a minimum of 4 people signed up. A couple more people signed up so they ended up going later in the week around 12:30 ish so they did not have to miss a dive - just a rushed lunch. The cost was $35 per person - from the beach or from the resort. Hubby is not much into heights so we didn't do it - but everyone we spoke to said it was really fun.

Enjoy AKR - such a great vacation!!

dhappydiver - thank you so much for that information - that will help me out alot! I look forward to seeing your trip report, as we have 11 days before we go!

If you would like more exposure drop by the site in my signature - and post a report there too!
:wink:

I did the canopy tour in the mountains by Pico Bonito national park. It was fantastic - one of the most beautiful locations I have seen. We stayed in some jungle cabins in the mountains on a cliff over looking the river. We did both a canopy tour and whitewater rafting. $25 covered the taxi from the boat dock up to the mountains, canopy tour or rafting (we paid a little more to do both), one nights lodging, and a ride back to La Cieba.

http://www.hondurasjungletours.net/index.html

Back
Top Bottom