Another newbie needing Maui info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N2Baja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! My family and I are going to Maui October 22-29, staying in Kaanapali. I did a search of the boards on Maui and got alot of great information! Thank you to everyone who's shared their knowledge and experiences! I just have a few questions I did'nt see covered on the board.

It appears that I can't go wrong with either B&B, Ed Robinsons or Mike Severens. My daughter and I are certified divers, though we're still in the novice stage (about 16 dives each). We definitly plan on doing Molokini, and maybe the Cathedrals?.

From the postings, it's obvious there are many shore dives we should consider also. We need to rent some gear, and I'd like to have a guide, so can we coordinate these shore dives though one of these operators too? Anything else we should consider when selecting our shore dive? i.e. boat traffic, navigation, currents?

Also, my husband and my son are not divers (and have absolutely no interest in trying it unfortunately :sulkoff: :sulkoff: ). Is there a site you would recommed for divers and snorklers? How about surfing? Can you recommend a surf spot that accomodates visitors?

Mahalo!

Melanie

N2Baja:
Hello! My family and I are going to Maui October 22-29, staying in Kaanapali.

It appears that I can't go wrong with either B&B, Ed Robinsons or Mike Severens. My daughter and I are certified divers, though we're still in the novice stage (about 16 dives each). We definitly plan on doing Molokini, and maybe the Cathedrals?.

From the postings, it's obvious there are many shore dives we should consider also. We need to rent some gear, and I'd like to have a guide, so can we coordinate these shore dives though one of these operators too? Anything else we should consider when selecting our shore dive? i.e. boat traffic, navigation, currents?

Also, my husband and my son are not divers (and have absolutely no interest in trying it unfortunately :sulkoff: :sulkoff: ). Is there a site you would recommed for divers and snorklers? How about surfing? Can you recommend a surf spot that accomodates visitors?
Don't forget that B&B, Ed Robinson, and Mike Severns are about 50 minutes away from Kaanapali -- particularly since your husband and son won't be diving.

Extended Horizons departs from the Mala wharf, just 5-10 minutes from Kaanapali. They are a good choice for the Cathedrals at Lanai.

With non-divers in your party, and being relatively new, you should consider doing some dives with the guys at Sheraton Black Rock. They do newby-friendly guided shore dives of black rock several times a day. They have equipment. Right next to the pool at the Sheraton, near the beach. Your son and husband can snorkel along above you for much of the dive.

Extended Horizons also does DM led night dives at Black Rock.

Maui Dive shop, right in Kaanapali rents tanks, and IIRC dive gear. Other good sources for rental gear include Pacific Dive and Lahaina Divers, both on Dickenson Street in downtown Lahaina.

There are lots of freelance dive guides that will take you on shore dives. Just ask around at your hotel or look in the yello pages. They generally include gear in their price.

One possible spot for you to go diving while others snorkel is Olowalu, aka mile-marker 14. Great shallow snorkel spot, with some deeper sections offshore.

An easy dive spot close to Kaanapali, although not a very interesting snorkel spot is "Old Airport" beach. It's the beach about 1/4 mile north of Black Rock, right across from the Sugar Cane train terminal. Nice beach and picnic/bbq grounds for non-divers to hang out at.

---

Surfing -- a common surf lesson place is right at the south end of the Lahaina harbor. IIRC, the surf instructors hang out in that park which is between 505 Front Street and the elementary school just S. of the banyan tree. You concierge should be able to give some good suggestions.

Airport beach is a good suggestion, both Scuba and Snorkeling. Another is Honolua Bay - about 7 miles north of Kaanapali - very nice reef structure, about 35ft max depth along the edges of the reef and about 5-12 ft above it.

Of course all choices will depend on the weather when you get here, this time of year the surf comes and goes, making a really nice spot a bad choice the next day. Most dive shops will have current reports about the weather and surf conditions.

You can always PM me a day or two before arrival and I'll ask my surfer friends what the surf forcast is for the next few days. (I don't surf, so if they are happy, it's going to be bad diving/snorkeling most of the time. . . if they are depressed about the surf, usually means good diving visability)

Have a great visit - Airport beach last Sunday had about 75-80ft vis.

Tim

Honolua Bay is one of my favorites, even with frequent car break-ins, a fairly long hike to the entry point, and rather slippery entry.

Some nice small swimthrus and arches well out towards the left point. Sometimes you also see weird shimmering in the water as fresh and saltwater mix together. I've taken non-diving visitors there just for a general look see --- they were impressed by the mini rainforest you walk through to get from the road to the shore.

Although dophins are by no means guaranteed, you have a lot better than chance of seeing them there than just about any other spot, except the next bay W of Manele Bay on Lanai.

If the surf's up, a good place for watching the surfers is another 1/2 mile or so beyond Honolua Bay. Go down the dirt road on the tip of the point that is the north side of Honolua Bay.

Thank you for the great info!

Charlie99, I hadn't even considered the fact that those three operators were so far from Kaanapali! Thanks for the heads-up! Hiring a freelance dive-guide is an interesting option and one I hadn't thought of. Any suggestions or advise on selecting one? Is there a resource for checking this out before I get to Maui? i.e. a local message board or publication? About how much should I expect to pay?

Tim, thanks for the offer to provide a surf forcast! I'll definitly PM you a couple of days before we head over. My son is an avid surfer and I want him to have as much fun surfing as my daughter and I will have diving! Thanks!

For dive guides I'm sure others will have their suggestions, but here are 2 to get you started -

1) Shaka Doug is a private guide and frequents the Hawaii Ohana board - might drop him a line.
2) or if you are an undercurrent member you can check their reports - or join their website (I think it's about $4/month) http://www.undercurrent.org They are kind of the consumer reports of Scuba Diving. They have reviewed a lot of diving outfits in Hawaii.

Tim

The guys at the Sheraton dive shop are a really good choice for someone with 16 dives. They are used to people going through air pretty fast, and therefore generally do an out and back from the south side of Black Rock. If you are reasonably good on air, then a better way to do Black Rock (currents permitting of course) is to hop in by the golf course on the north side and drift/swim around to the beach on the south side.

The guys at the Sheraton would probably either be happy to do a little private guide work on the side at other locations, or can direct you to a buddy of theirs that wants to do it.

I don't know if Woody is still doing guided shore dives since he now runs snorkel trips, but http://www.underwaterdiscoveries.com phone 808-667-2290 could hook you up with somebody.

Shaka Divers that Kidspot mentioned is another possibility. He is Kihei based.

N2Baja:
Hello! My family and I are going to Maui October 22-29, staying in Kaanapali. I did a search of the boards on Maui and got alot of great information! Thank you to everyone who's shared their knowledge and experiences! I just have a few questions I did'nt see covered on the board.

Mahalo!

Melanie
Dive Molokini with a dive operator that gets there before or after the snorkel boats have left, the vis is better and there's less distraction. Some dive operators hit Molokini as the 2nd dive, it's perfect for that. Often there's small whitetips in the sand flats there. Feed the fish, the snorkelers do, so they expect it. They nibble your fingers to encourage you.

At the Cathedrals dive the 1st Cathedral, if I remember right the entrance is at about 60' and slightly easier than 2nd Cathedral to leave - how you leave is a secret you'll learn. It's a really different dive experience, the water there is so blue. Pic attached. Sometimes it gets rough in that area in the afternoon when the wind picks up. Another time it was so calm we could see the bottom.

We stayed in Kaanapali twice, I wouldn't dive with anyone who's based farther south than Lahaina town due to the traffic and distance, it could take you an hour just to get to the boat on a bad day, especially when people arrive at the airport. I dove with Lahaina divers once. They leave from Mala Wharf, so does Extended Horizons - and others.

Airport Beach is an easy sand entry great for a shoredive with interesting stuff close offshore. Easy to park there too, especially mid-week. There's some pipes and other shipping remnants in one area out to the right, lots of interesting critters have made homes there.

sjspeck:
I dove with Lahaina divers once. They leave from Mala Wharf, so does Extended Horizons - and others.
We're going to be in Kaanapali in Dec. and are thinking about using Lahaina divers,
How was your experience with them?
I appreciate for any info you can provide.

sjspeck:
(at Molokini) feed the fish, the snorkelers do, so they expect it. They nibble your fingers to encourage you.
Not recommended by reputable dive ops, and against the marine preserve regulations.

sjspeck:
. I dove with Lahaina divers once. They leave from Mala Wharf, so does Extended Horizons - and others.
Most, if not all of the Lahaina Divers boats leave from the Lahaina Harbor, right in downtown Lahaina, a couple minutes walk from the Lahaina Divers shop, which is where they do check-in.

Extended Horizons and Hawaiin Rafting leave from the Mala Ramp, which is next to the broken down ruins of Mala Wharf. Mala is in the north end of Lahaina, near the Cannery Mall.

sjspeck:
We stayed in Kaanapali twice, I wouldn't dive with anyone who's based farther south than Lahaina town due to the traffic and distance, it could take you an hour just to get to the boat on a bad day, especially when people arrive at the airport.
You aren't going to run into any traffic driving from Lahaina or Kaanapali to catch an early morning boat!

If you want to dive Molokini you have either the choice of getting on a boat in Lahaina and taking it for the journey to Molokini, or driving down to Kihei (or Maalea harbor) and taking the much shorter boat ride. I prefer to drive down to the shorter boat ride, the same way I drive from Kihei up to Mala for the trip to Lanai.

You are much more likely to have flatter seas and better viz in the morning, before the afternoon tradewinds kick up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom