Morrison Springs 10-3-04 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Me and a buddy of mine went to Morrison Springs and met up with Crowell and his fiance Binear. The visibility has improved quite a bit since last weekend. Ranging from 25-35' of visibility compared to less than 3' last weekend(guessing). The water was down to what seemed like normal level. Pretty interesting dive, lots of marine life near the hole going down towards the entrance of the cavern(mostly small bass and bream). There were several fish and fresh water eels inside the cavern itself. If you swam around the outskirts of the basin near the cypress trees you could spot schools of mullet, turtles, large bass, large garfish and several other species of fish. The further away from the basin you got, the thicker the layer of nappy water formed ontop the clear spring water that sat below it :)

While it was my second time onsite, it was my first time diving it and it was alot of fun. I'm looking forward to visiting this site again, not only to explore a bit more, but because its free.

You can view a slideshow of the pictures I took at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=album25

Enjoy!

Sarah and I had a great time down there with you guys today (and not just because the price was right) ...

It was a nice dive, but the mosquitoes there at the facility were something else. Not long after you guys left, someone discovered a yellowjacket nest up near the showers - so to anyone coming by for a visit - be sure to bring mosquito repellant.

Towards the end of the first dive, I started having a problem with my right ear, which wasn't a big deal and it went away pretty fast, but on the second dive it happened again there at the hole in about 27' of water, which is unusual ... I couldn't equalize it or get it pressurize at all, so I just hung out at the log there at 24' while Sarah went down and looked around the mouth of the cavern. I'm not sure what's up with it - my sinuses are fine (as far as I know), so I'm just going to go easy on it and see if it recurs again next time. Down to about 24 - 25 feet it was fine, and on the first dive all the way down was fine ... so I dunno.

The dive itself was wonderful. The water was very clear, and this was the first time Sarah and I had put our new gear in the water, so that was an excellent place to make sure everything was working like it should. We ended up on the second dive just hanging out above the cavern and then the platform refreshing my bouyancy control in preparation for our trip to Grand Cayman / Cozumel reefs in November.

We had a real blast with you guys and look forward to doing it again. Thanks for coming up - it was a real treat. (And then we had to come back so I could finish loading the latest round of database patches for my job (which I should have been doing all day instead of diving :wink: )).

Great pics. I'll have to get over there when my schedule permits and my regs are back from service.

Thanks for the report. Glad it has cleared up. Looks like the flooding left a lot of much on the bottom too.

Vis was great, but I'm thinking it will clear up even more once the water has settled even more. We'll be going back within the next month or two for sure, there really was alot to look at around the cypresses on the outskirts of the basin :D

I need to visit Morisson again. I havent been there since I did a set of my checkouts a couple yrs back.

Crowell, I have family there in Andalusia. Just thought that I'd spit that out there because its rare that I ever hear/see that towns name anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom