Blue Spring - 1st post-cert cavern dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well this afternoon David (Scubafool) and myself went over to Blue Spring to see what the fuss was all about with the river rising! This was my first post-cavern cert dive and i am guessing only David's 3rd or 4th after we caught him out whilst doing his with one of the Ginnie guys (cant recall who - not good with names :wink: ). In the past i have probably only got about 6-8 dives in here and David a few less dives (with many more free dives) so we have a pretty good handle on the "OW" portion of the spring and the light penetratable cavern zone. After chatting with some people regarding the spring and the best way to approach it as well as looking at the map our plan was to tie off to the tree, run a line down the invert (for want of a better word) of the tube that is blue spring, placing and tying as we went, maybe going more along the left wall to stay out of the current and we were told there were better features to use with the line.

I was diving air and David was on 28% (i think or 27%), so my NDL was going to be somewhere in the range of 12-15mins at the bottom with a max depth somewhere around 110-120ft (couldnt tell quite what it would be as the river was up), then once we had reached our thirds or were within a few mins of NDL we were going to turn, recover the reel to around 50-60ft (variable due to river level again) and play in the flow in the OW section before making our way up to the logs and safety stop time.

Well we did our S-drill, i lead and tied off to one of the logs and started to make my way down with David providing some light and checking my placements. Seeing as the previous forays into the spring were all sans reel, i spent a little time on the way down looking for suitable places to tie or place the reel. I think we did pretty well on that front except it took us from the time we dropped in, did our S-drill and started the line work, and got to the main room - we had already used up around 8mins of our NDL. Now i will say there was some task loading involved in this, checking air and time/NDL as well as looking for the tie-off points (which were surprisingly few as the walls are so well worn by the flow) and of course the usual buoyancy issue in that system. The buoyancy issue is that above 80ft or so the flow buoys you up, so you hardly touch the inflator, however once you hit that bend were it goes to 45 deg slope, the flow is just pushing you and not buoying you up - so you have to make up for the other 80ft you have just dropped, well i think David and i again did ok, but at times i was wondering if i could have a spare hand to check those things, just have to get myself an order to check things i guess - comes with practice i am sure. I tied off the reel on the left at about 113ft in the little room where the spring shoots out from and we just spent a couple of minutes shining our lights around to see what was in there. Some silty vertical cuts/chimneys, a hole in the ground which i assume was the vent point (even though it was covered in sticks) and a few other features. After all the diving that we had done in OW there without lights, this was one of those springs we wanted to see what it was like down there now that we have our cavern certs. After about a minute of just floating there David pulls thirds and we turn to head out to our next planned point in OW. Things seemed ok on the way out, not much to complain about. The vent at my back made reeling a hasty, but not badly done job, once we hit that elbow and started to get some upthrust i had to work a little harder on buoyancy (or at least dumping most of my air) to stay with the reel. We finished the rest of the dive off as we had planned playing in the flow. It was a nice fun, if not a little humbling dive. We didnt hit the vent, in fact we were probably a good 5-8ft higher than it when i tied off the reel. I do believe that the water is about 5ft higher at least than our previous dives there as the logs were almost dead on 16ft and the little passage underneath at the back of the logs that is usually around 15ft was around 22ft give or take.

When we thought about how we had done on the dive, David and i agreed that it was a bit of a challenge playing with that flow with all the extra tasks loaded up but not impossible, a nice dive to cut our teeth on after the cavern training. We also agreed that it might be better to do the primary tie at the locatiion that used to have the sign (~60ft) and now there is just a stump where it was broken off. This would have cut down some of our tying time and still been in OW, not to mention less likelihood of free diving kids/other divers tangling or accidentally cutting the line. Any thoughts on placements or tying points?? It was a nice dive, i would have liked to explore the room a little more if we had had the time, but on AL80's that wasnt happening. Total dive time 40mins, max 113ft ave 55ft i think.

To anyone else reading this who is not cavern trained, please get the training and dont take lights into the spring :wink:

I'm not sure what agency your cavern cert is thru, but what is the depth limit for cavern cert?

Glad you had a nice dive!

TDI, max depth 130ft, 200ft max pen (plumb depth + actual penetration), 40ft viz, no restrictions, usual other rules.

simbrooks:
TDI, max depth 130ft, 200ft max pen (plumb depth + actual penetration), 40ft viz, no restrictions, usual other rules.

Cuz the other agencies are max depthof 100' and 130' linear penetration from the surface. The 100' depth was changed from 70' depth limit not too long ago.

That's why I asked.

Wendy:
Cuz the other agencies are max depthof 100' and 130' linear penetration from the surface. The 100' depth was changed from 70' depth limit not too long ago.

That's why I asked.

NSS-CDS linear penetration for Cavern is 200'

To replace Section 2.1.8.B and 2.1.8.C in the 2000 S&P's to reflect the new limits for Cavern Diver Training. (200 feet/60m of linear penetration from the surface, 100 feet/30m maximum depth).

Sim, glad you had fun, and thanks for the report. Im curious. Did you take into account the OH in calculating bottom time? Its not usually an issue on single tanks as youll hit 3rds quicker, but you still have to plan for exit time.

Our bottom time NDL was going to be about 15 mins, it took us 10 to get down there and look around at which time we turned, by the time we got to the OW portion our BT for the deeper portion was up (ie it took less than 5 mins to get up to 60ft or so) - surprising how quick we got out reeling and floating out. Most of our dive time was spent playing in the shallower stuff and we had ages of NDL on that. Those were only estimated NDL's based on tables, the computer was giving me ages too due to our limited time at max depth, but i tried to keep the plan to reasonable limits even if the computer was saying we had more time. I have a suunto which isnt all that liberal on time, even at depth it was still showing 5 mins to go on NDL when we turned.
It was a fun dive and had we been there with enough time we might have tried it again on a second tank either leaving the reel in there (probably not that wise with all the other divers using the place) or tying off at the sign post to save us some time.

Is the sign post back?

If so I would not tie off to the branch... way too easy to have it cut/broken by a kid. I would find something down around the 60 ft range to tie off to reduce the chance of it being hasseled.

Your quick trip out was due to the high volume of water discharge. Just be careful to not ascend too quickly or to over run your reel. The #2 man is critical to keeping your line tight.

Glad you had fun and that you had such good training from GDI.

The sign post has not been there as long as i have been diving that spring (ok that is only 8 months, but even so), i was talking about a small stump from that original sign that still seemed anchored into the crack in the rock. There isnt all that much to tie off to around that kind of depth as the walls are pretty smooth. I understood the flow, but of course previously i had only been playing in that flow just floating along, now of course i have to keep it in check and try to do other stuff with it. I dont think i had that much slack or line running over, i tried to stay out of the flow as best i could on the way out, but David was a great help being #2. There were some nice tie off, placement possibilities further in, but i wanted/we needed one in the OW section as well - of which there were few!

Were you and your buddy both using the same size tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom