Curacao-bound: What dry snorkel and mask do I want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allspread Grapealo

Registered
Reaction score
OK - returning to Curacao next month for another 8 day jaunt. I'll preface this by saying I don't dive (I'd love to try it - and in future trips to Curacao, I intend to, no way I can do it this time).

My last trip to Curacao I did a lot of snorkeling with a mask and "standard" snorkel that I borrowed from a friend. This trip, and to have for subsequent ones, I need my own mask and snorkel - a dry snorkel.

What ought I look at, scuba experts, for a mask and dry snorkel? There is tons of stuff on the Internet, of course, but I couldn't begin to rate it.

Help me out?

Welcome to the board.
The most important thing is to get a mask that fits you. While some of the Kmart type mask will fit some people, there is simply no way to know if it fits you unless you can try it on. Unless you are super lucky, it's almost impossible to get the best mask for you on the internet, you simply have to try it on to find the best one for you. Your best bet is to visit several dive shops, try on every mask you can find and see which fits you best. To "try one on" you place it on your face (no need to put the strap over your head) making sure to get any hair out of the mask and gently inhale through your nose. It should seal easily without you putting ANY pressure on it. You should not feel any air leaking around the mask anywhere. Don't make price an issue, a cheap mast that fits well is a lot better deal than an expensive one that leaks. My original dive mask from 92 (which happens to be a relatively inexpensive one) is still in fine dive condition. I just this year replaced it due to my eyes needing prescription, otherwise it would still be my main mask.
As for snorkels, it's a personal choice. I like ones with a flexable lower section so it will get out of my way when diving. A lot of divers like a simple J tube. Snorkels with bigger bores (tube diameter) breath easier than ones with small dia tubes. I feel the expensive ones with fancy do dads on the top are more a waste of money than anything. If you learn to use a snorkel properly, the gadgets don't do much.

I agree with Herman. Fitting a mask is the most important. As for a snorkel, if you are set on a dry snorkel, I like my Ocean Master. It has a "stopper" to stop the waterflow when it gets submerged and has a flexible mouthpice to swing out of the way.

Once that is set, now it's time to try scuba !!!!!!!

why a "dry" snorkel? Just more things to go wrong as far as I'm concerned.. some dry snorkels have a ball or float of some kind on top.. others are also called dry and have a small rubber valve at the bottom that make getting rid of the water easier. I'd go check and see what the "extreme" snorkelers are using.. you know.. the freedivers.. I'd say 99% are using just a big bore J tube. Functional, no moving parts, easy to learn to clear, and no problems. ok ok.. I've used my wife's dry snorkel.. I'm sorry I forget the name..(OF THE SNORKEL!) and it was nice.. her snorkel just has a purge valve on the bottom. But if I was going on a trip and depending on one snorkel.. I'd take my old J tube.
I like the cressi big eyes for sight seeing.. but make sure the mask fits.. good fit and field of view will be the most desirable characteristics of a mask.

Herman said it well on the mask, gotta go and try them. Anything else is a crap shoot.

As for the snorkel (I too am a scuba wannabe) I prefer my dry snorkel, not so much for not having to clear it (don't count on it) when returning to the surface but because it handles heavy seas without getting water down the tube. In addition to the closure device most have a baffle setup that prevents direct water entry.

The purge valve is pretty much standard on any "fancy" snorkel but there is one thing I have learned. Make sure the purge valve is in some sort of shelter with a grate. The valve is a very light plastic part and if you move your gead quickly it can open and surprise you if you're inhaling at the time. The shleter keeps most of the turbulence off the valve and avoids this surprise.

The lower flex tube is a nice feature and again is pretty common on these. I have the Mojave and am very happy with it. It usually stays dry but if I do a weird dive it may load up. You can tell by the sound and a different response in your ear pressure. Just clear it like a wet snorkel everytime and take that cautious first breath and life will be good.

If you only plan to be in calm waters I agree that a J-tube will serve you fine.

Pete

Dry snorkels are great for snorkeling (as opposed to scuba or freediving which have different needs.) I have a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry (I think that's it) which works fine and is not too bulky.

I have tried several different types of snorkels, avoid the ones with the ball type fixtures on top or any mechanism which closes the snorkel off to water. The reason is simple - they close at very innoportune moments. Whenever the surf is rough the splash tends to close off your air supply - NOT good. On the other hand a snorkel with a simple splash guard is very nice (often times simply a vent inside the end of the snorkel) as it will keep spray and 90% of the waves out, but never stop your airflow like the dry snorkels can. I have found a purge to be unnecessary, though it doesn't really get in the way - sometimes the corrugated or flexible hoses trap water and it takes an extra "puff" of air to get the water completely out of it vs. a smooth J style snorkel. If you do have a flexible style hose, then the purge valve becomes a little more necessary because of the extra water needing a place to drain other than your mouth.

There's my addition of confusion for ya'
Tim

herman:
it's almost impossible to get the best mask for you on the internet, you simply have to try it on to find the best one for you. Your best bet is to visit several dive shops, try on every mask you can find and see which fits you best.

As for snorkels, it's a personal choice. I like ones with a flexable lower section so it will get out of my way when diving. A lot of divers like a simple J tube. Snorkels with bigger bores (tube diameter) breath easier than ones with small dia tubes. I feel the expensive ones with fancy do dads on the top are more a waste of money than anything. If you learn to use a snorkel properly, the gadgets don't do much.

Ah - I should have clarified. The reason I am looking on the Internet is that I live in the rural south - no such thing as a dive shop anywhere near here. I wanted to avoid having to buy something once I got back to Curacao...

I wanted a dry snorkel because on my last trip I kept diving under the water to go look at the fish and kept coming up with a lot of water - I'd like to not have to think about it when I go under the water. Where I snorkel, the water was calm last time, I'm not thinking of rough water getting in there - I want to keep it out when I go underwater with it.

Keep those suggestions coming - thanks a lot.

I wanted a dry snorkel because on my last trip I kept diving under the water to go look at the fish and kept coming up with a lot of water - I'd like to not have to think about it when I go under the water. Where I snorkel, the water was calm last time, I'm not thinking of rough water getting in there - I want to keep it out when I go underwater with it.

Even dry snorkels will get water in them when you dive down. Dry snorkels do help a little when you are on the surface in heavy seas. (should not be problem when snorkeling in Curasao. Just practice on becoming profecient at clearing it. A large bore is best. Rather its flex or simple J tube is users preference.

Ditto on everyone elses info on the mask. You gotta "try-it-before-you -buy-it." You may be better off to wait until you get to a dive store.

I will be in Curasao later this month for the first time..Can't wait...........

Allspread Grapealo:
Ah - I should have clarified. The reason I am looking on the Internet is that I live in the rural south - no such thing as a dive shop anywhere near here. I wanted to avoid having to buy something once I got back to Curacao...

Keep those suggestions coming - thanks a lot.
right, most "dry" snorkels aren't going to help when you go under, they're more to keep out splash which you can get even when things are calm. If water sneaks past the splash gizmo it will drain out the purge, and the purge will make clearing water from the snorkel with a breath easier. I guess there's some snorkels that claim to keep all the water out but I'm not sure I'd want to complicate or weigh down a snorkel that much, or have the thing sticking shut on me. (And I'm not even a snorkel minimalist like many people here.)

I'd suggest learning how to clear the snorkel as you return to the surface. After a little practice it will become automatic and you won't have to think about it. As you are returning to the surface, tip your head back so the top of the snorkel points down a little and exhale. The air you exhale will stay in the snorkel this way and expand as you come up, helping to push out the water. It's much easier to clear the water out this way rather then getting to the surface and having to blast the water out. If this description makes no sense maybe someone else can do a better job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom