Key West to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DWJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well I had the week of Thankgiving set aside to return to Grand Cayman. With that being out of the question, my wife rebooked the vacation to Key West. I have searched the archives here and have alot of diveshop suggestions. My questions are as follows

1) From Key West, how long a drive is it to Key Largo? I want to do the Grove.

2) What are the best reefs to dive in Key West.

3) Any operators I should steer clear of?

Thanks

Dave

The Spiegel Grove and the Duane are well worth it. Count on a couple of hours to get to Key Largo from Key West. I suggest rainbowreef at mile marker 100. Small boats, great operator. They also have a location in Islamorata. Check them out at rainbowreef.us. Good luck.

DWJ:
Well I had the week of Thankgiving set aside to return to Grand Cayman. With that being out of the question, my wife rebooked the vacation to Key West. I have searched the archives here and have alot of diveshop suggestions. My questions are as follows

1) From Key West, how long a drive is it to Key Largo? I want to do the Grove.

2) What are the best reefs to dive in Key West.

3) Any operators I should steer clear of?

Thanks

Dave

The Eagle is also a very nice wreck.
Some suggested operators - Tavernier Dive Center (mile marker 83 or so) - is a good place to do the Eagle from; BlueWater Divers (mile marker 100) is a good place for Speigel Grove / Duane / Bibb - KeyLargoBrent from BlueWater Divers is a member of Scuba Board; ...also others have recommended IslandVentures as well (although I've not been out with them yet.

The best reefs are not in Key West, but Key Largo - so well worth the drive to visit them

Note: the Mile Markers are # of miles from Key West - but most of the road is a single lane, so can take some time when you get stuck behind something - it can take 2-3 hours..sometime longer e.g. on a sunday afternoon when everyone else is also going home)

You might also consider the Adolphus Busch wreck and the Looe Key reef.

See http://www.reef-divers.com/ . They are located at MM21 -- a lot shorter drive from Key West. I prefer Looe Key over the reefs at Key West. Owner/operator isCapt Jim Wyatt, a scubaboard member and frequent poster.

There are a couple nice wrecks in Key West though -- Joe's Tug and Cayman Salvager.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom