Need a reccomendation for IDC in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barbunia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi you guys,
This is my first post - hope it will be OK.
I am planning to go to Utila late Dec. early Jan.
I would like to take an instructor course while I there (I am a DM).
Could anyone recommend of a DC in which it would be best to take that course ?
I would also need a place to stay in (probably for a few months) and to work there as well as an instructor.
Another thing what would be the living expenses there: food per day, rent per month, traveling in and out of the island
thank's to all you repliers out there.

Barbunia,

You may wish to include some more info about yourself in your personal profile...it would help with the responses you will get.

Check with Steve at www.deepblueutila.com. (Deep Blue Divers) They have a good operation.....also with Andy at Utila Dive Center or Bay Isalnds College of Diving. I suggest you check and see whrn teh IE's are going to be held to coincide with your plans. The IE's are held every other month on Roatan and Utila. The IDC's are usually conducted during the preceeding week. Lodging and eating is much less expensive on Utila.

Regards,

Hi

Yes exactly as Cudabait said there are three IDC centers in Utila Deep Blue, UDC and BICD who will all be very happy to answer any questions you have, all are very good quality, the standard of training nowdays on Utila is second to none.

Great island to live on, great island to dive on, hopefully we will see you soon

Hi Barbunia,

My names Andy and I'm the resident Course Director for the Utila Dive Centre, I've been living on Utila since 2000 and have conducted over 25 IDC's on the island, and trained over 200 Instructors at all levels including technical, with a 100% pass rate.

You'll love this place for taking your IDC, I'm not sure where you took your DM, but I've travelled and worked in a lot of dive resorts around the world and you can't beat Utila for the quality of training, level of professionalism, diversity of dive sites and it's a great place to work afterwards and get experience with which I can help you with.

You can find an apartment for about $350-400 per month which is normally 2 bed room so you'll share the costs with the other person, these are plenty and easy to find someone to share with, for your first few nights on Utila you can stay in a budget hotel for about $7-10 per night. You'll also need to budget another $500 per month for living expenses, it depends exactly on how much you eat or drink (!!!), there's plenty of good restaurants, bars and supermarkets on the island so you have a good standard of living as well as being in the tropics.

If you're coming in from the US then you'll probably fly via Houston or Miami (with either Continental or American Airlines) into San Pedro Sula, Honduras, then you can take a small shuttle flight to Utila, via La Ceiba, costs about $70 one way.

For specific information on our IDC's and how I conduct the program then if you'd like to e-mail gopro@utiladivecentre.com I'll get back to you right away with all the information you need.

Warm regards,
Andy

PADI Course Director 608779

Thank's everybody for your replies,
Well actualy I wanted a personal reference from somebody who did it already.
I know of the three DC which are qulified to pass IDC in Utila.
I wanted recommendation about which of them would be the best one to take the instructor course (and maybe work there afterward) ?
regard's, Barbunia.

P.S added my picture for those of you who wanted to see me in person :)

Well actualy I wanted a personal reference from somebody who did it already.
I know of the three DC which are qulified to pass IDC in Utila.
I wanted recommendation about which of them would be the best one to take the instructor course (and maybe work there afterward) ?
regard's, Barbunia.

Hi Barbunia,
This is not what you want, but I'll give you a perspective from Utila.
Presently there are four course directors on Utila. UDC has two, and BICD and DBD have one each. I did my IDC on the island, but with a CD who has since left. However, I know and like all four of these guys, and I've heard good reports about all of them regarding IDC training. If you have the time to get here early and meet each of them, that might be best. If that's not possible, try to at least have an internet exchange with them. Otherwise, from a completely objective standpoint, Andy Philips is the longest running, most experienced and credentialed (he's a tri-mix instructor trainer... someday Andy). The other three have been CD's for about the same ammount of time.
Get into direct contact with these guys, they are all probably watching this post.
If you speak French, come see me as soon as you get into teaching status.
Come see me anyway for a beer on the dock.
Best of luck
tex

barbunia:
Hi you guys,
This is my first post - hope it will be OK.
I am planning to go to Utila late Dec. early Jan.
I would like to take an instructor course while I there (I am a DM).
Could anyone recommend of a DC in which it would be best to take that course ?
I would also need a place to stay in (probably for a few months) and to work there as well as an instructor.
Another thing what would be the living expenses there: food per day, rent per month, traveling in and out of the island
thank's to all you repliers out there.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Barbunia!!
I thought I recognized your picture! Lisa here from the Bubbles DM course.
Looks like I will miss you by a month in Utlia. We'll be there in Nov.
Sorry I didn't get back to you with more information, busy with planning a trip back to the States...I'm actually leaving in the morning.
Check back here and I'll post my trip report or I'll send you an email.
Good luck with your search!

Hi Lisa,
Good to hear from you :)
I guess that by now you are going by the title DM (and a very good one if I might just say).
Well I decided to carry out my old plan and go to central America.
Anyways, I got great posts back at me, but still can't decide which of the DC would be best to go to (the cheapest ? the biggest ? the oldest ? the one including accommodation/job)
Looking forward for some clarifying posts,
Barbunia.

I guess that by now you are going by the title DM (and a very good one if I might just say).....And the same to you!!
You'll get some good feedback and clarification here that will help with all those decisions. I am sure you have great success with the IDC course, location and job placement.
I look forward to hearing how it all plays out for you.
Keep in touch as I will also.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom