Should I still use card after camera floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a flood in my apartment and my C5050 got flooded (it could have been under a few feet of water for several hours and definitely had water inside of it and no longer works). Several days later, I pulled the card out and took it to a camera store. The pic files look fine and I assume that in a new camera, it can be written too as well. The camera salesperson told me that I should replace the card just to be on the safe side under the theory that maybe there is still some corrosion going on and maybe it could harm a new camera. From the outside the card looks fine (a slight schmeer of discoloration on one corner) and as I say it works. I don't want to risk injuring a new camera, but I am not keen on replacing a $300 card either if I don't have to. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Dave

The card should be fine, it's sealed and has no moving parts. The contacts are gold plated and shouldn't corrode. Dry it gently with a hair dryer to make sure there is no more moisture in the contact holes and you're good to go.

A buddy flooded his 5050 in Cozumel and is still shooting his CF card, and that was salt water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom