Rumor: deep airplane wreck off Maui: true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I've heard a rumor that there's an airplane wreck off of Maui (south Maui??) that's
relatively deep (190-ish). Anyone know anything about it?

It's there and good luck getting anyone to ever tell you where it is. Protected information for sure.

You are correct about the depth. It's a PB4Y bomber. Like Al said, getting info on it from any of the ops is next to impossible and they only go there for 'crew dives' occasionally.

wingnut:
You are correct about the depth. It's a PBY-4 bomber. Like Al said, getting info on it from any of the ops is
next to impossible and they only go there for 'crew dives' occasionally.

Ah - thanks. My local technical diving operator (DiveTEK) has talked about an excursion
to the other islands for some wreck diving (e.g. Oahu). This would be an interesting trip.

I'm assuming that some operator on Maui would handle the local arrangements, including
getting us to the dive site, providing local guides and filling the trimix...

Thanks again -

gkndivebum:
I've heard a rumor that there's an airplane wreck off of Maui (south Maui??) that's
relatively deep (190-ish). Anyone know anything about it?

There is a PB4Y-1 Navy bomber wreck. It is shown HERE on Ed Robinsons website and is in just under 200 feet of water. Needless to say charter boats do not do this dive with customers.

gkndivebum:
I'm assuming that some operator on Maui would handle the local arrangements, including
getting us to the dive site, providing local guides and filling the trimix...

Thanks again -

Good luck getting anyone there to help. Let us know if it happens.

I met Gkndivebum at DEMA, (and Shas as well) and he was kind enough to give me a good run-through on the Prism. It is a well thought-out machine. They are both really nice people, although Shas is by far the more attractive of the two! :wink:

BigJetDriver69:
I met Gkndivebum at DEMA, (and Shas as well) and he was kind enough to give me a good run-through on the Prism. It is a well thought-out machine. They are both really nice people, although Shas is by far the more attractive of the two! :wink:

It was good to meet you -- It was Sharon's hat, right? :wink:

In SoCal for a couple of days -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom